Top 10 Costume Ideas for Hijabis

Noor Raza, Staff

When you walk into a costume store, you’ll find no shortage of “sexy” costumes, from nurse getups to police uniforms. But for those Muslim women who decide to wear a hijab, and who want to incorporate their religious headdress into their costumes on days like Halloween (if they celebrate the holiday–many do not), there are plenty of ways to bypass revealing outfits in favor of creative, modest costumes.  

Whether you want to mirror the Joker or become a Disney princess, any hijabi can rock the following creative costume ideas: 

1) Princess Anna and Princess Elsa 

You know what’s creative about these costumes? You can tie your hijab to look like Anna’s signature pigtail braids or braid a silvery hijab to mimic Elsa’s hair–it might sound complicated, but it’s totally worth the look. All you have to do afterwards is dress like the princess you chose. Wear an icy-blue dress to channel your inner Elsa and you could also add frost-like sparkles to your makeup. For Anna, you could wear a blue dress and purple cape, then draw on some freckles. One look and everyone will know you want to build a snowman. 

For the inspired makeup looks, check out the following links:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8t05LMgv_I 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrTIlJGKaWs 

2) Minions 

Bello, me want bananna. 

What would be better than dressing up as a cute little minion? They’re adorable and very simple to mimic. All you’ll need is a yellow shirt, a pair of overalls, a yellow hijab, and if you want to be extra, add some big black goggles. It’s guaranteed to be a bee do bee do day! 

3) The Joker 

When you’re a hijabi but you’re team Joker, yes, it was bound to go there–the Joker from Suicide Squad. Of course, everyone’s favorite sadistic clown had to show up on the list. All you need to complete this look is a purple suit and a yellow tie. Then, set on a green hijab, add some red lipstick, color your eyebrows in with green and write damaged across your forehead with a marker, voila. You’ve transformed into the crazy clown from the Suicide Squad. 

4) Maleficent 

This dark, elegant costume is a perfect one for hijabis — simply top your black hijab with the Disney villain’s horned headpiece and wear all black. Perfect for last minute costume ideas. 

5) Tinker Bell 

This costume requires a bit of effort because to dress up as Tinker you’ll need to fix your crème colored hijab in a certain way, like a turban, and then put on the green signature ribbon Tinker wears in her hair. You could simply pair this up with a green dress and some fairy wings.  

6) Belle 

This is everyone’s favorite princess costume that, no matter what, won’t be overused. All you really need is a flowy yellow dress, a brown hijab for Belle’s hair, and some yellow earrings to complete the look.  

7) Nightingale from Skyrim 

A video game character, yes, but a perfect costume. You don’t even have to try and cover up; the character is covered up originally in the game. All you really need is some armor. After that its easy, just wear all black, grab a black cape and wrap a black hijab. To make it a bit dramatic, cover your face halfway between your nose like a niqab and bring that inner warrior in you. 

8) Harley Quinn 

Joker’s partner in crime, why not?  

For this you’ll have to tie-dye a white hijab with one end red and another end blue. Take that hijab and wrap it around like a turban, leaving the two tie-dyed sides hanging.  

For a detailed explanation click on the link below: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKMms_FpMUE 

9) Rapunzel 

We all miss the long blonde-haired animated character, admit it. This is a very easy costume to create. All you need is a pink dress and a skin colored hijab. Wrapping the hijab might be a bit complicated, but for instructions you might want to check out the following hijab tutorial: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db40qLW189M 

10) Cinderella  

Everyone’s favorite Disney princess is Cinderella. This is one of the easiest looks to create with a blue poufy dress and a skin colored hijab. To top it off wear a blue headband along with the hijab.  

For a Cinderella look tutorial check out the following link: 

• Top 10 Costume Ideas for Hijabis

Tgiving Dinner: Home vs. Going Out

• Top 10 Costume Ideas for Hijabis

Spirit Week 2017 Recap

• Top 10 Costume Ideas for Hijabis

Comets Fall to Kenwood in Homecoming Match-Up

• Top 10 Costume Ideas for Hijabis

Mixed Farmhouse Greens Review

• Top 10 Costume Ideas for Hijabis

Spirit Week Traditions, Rules an Annual Concern

• Top 10 Costume Ideas for Hijabis

High Schoolers and Their Lack of Sleep

• Top 10 Costume Ideas for Hijabis

New CHS Fall Play: ‘The Diary of Anne Frank’

• Top 10 Costume Ideas for Hijabis

Go Home Freshmen: Tradition or Torment?

• Top 10 Costume Ideas for Hijabis

Top Ten Halloween Costumes for 2017

• Top 10 Costume Ideas for Hijabis

‘American Horror Story: Cult’ Review

Top 10 Costume Ideas for Hijabis