‘American Horror Story: Cult’ Review

Katie thor Straten, Staff

If many-legged insects, blood, demonic clowns, and murder turn your stomach, then you may want to stay away from the show I am about to review. One of the most popular shows, American Horror Story, came back to TV for its 7th season this fall. This season’s theme is “Cult,” which involves a clown cult that plays with the lead character’s mind, using her phobias to terrorize her. This is all set directly after the election of Donald Trump, and it shows each week how the characters deal with this event.

The series is known for reusing the same actors to play different characters in different settings and situations each season. Director Ryan Murphy brings back big actors like Evan Peters and Sarah Paulson. Peters plays Kai Anderson, a Trump supporter and cult leader. His character is mysterious, which adds fear because of his unknown plans for the future or his beliefs towards anything. Paulson plays a successful restaurant owner, Ally, with her wife, Ivy (Allison Pill), and they have a son, Oz (Cooper Dodson).

Besides not knowing Anderson’s actions, phobias play a big part into the show. Coulrophobia (fear of clowns), tropophobia (fear of holes), and agoraphobia (fear of places that cause anxiety, usually outside) are all introduced to cause anxiety and fear in the viewers, since they are so common. During the title sequence there are bugs, blood, and other toe-curling images to get you on the edge of your seat.

The reviews are positive, and critics are rating it highly, and the numbers are showing it too. On the season premier there were 9.01 million views which is very hard since many people have switched over to Netflix and other online providers. The numbers are staying high which is a good sign for a successful season.

The rest of this season has a lot of potential. The actors are exceptional at portraying a weird vibe that is so important to the franchise. During a memorable scene at a grocery store, Ally has a break down that ends in throwing alcohol bottles at people in costumes. At the same time, viewers are lead to care for the characters, which will be used against them later in the season.

Because of the popularity, American Horror Story is a basic and intriguing conversation starter. The unique filming of it and talented actors make for a very entertaining and captivation show. It is a great show and a perfect choice to distract yourself from the beginning of the school year.

• ‘American Horror Story: Cult’ Review

Tgiving Dinner: Home vs. Going Out

• ‘American Horror Story: Cult’ Review

Spirit Week 2017 Recap

• ‘American Horror Story: Cult’ Review

Comets Fall to Kenwood in Homecoming Match-Up

• ‘American Horror Story: Cult’ Review

Mixed Farmhouse Greens Review

• ‘American Horror Story: Cult’ Review

Top 10 Costume Ideas for Hijabis

• ‘American Horror Story: Cult’ Review

Spirit Week Traditions, Rules an Annual Concern

• ‘American Horror Story: Cult’ Review

High Schoolers and Their Lack of Sleep

• ‘American Horror Story: Cult’ Review

New CHS Fall Play: ‘The Diary of Anne Frank’

• ‘American Horror Story: Cult’ Review

Go Home Freshmen: Tradition or Torment?

• ‘American Horror Story: Cult’ Review

Top Ten Halloween Costumes for 2017

‘American Horror Story: Cult’ Review