For the longest time, it seemed like Catonsville High game attendees didn’t have much to brag about, as no team had won a state championship for any sport in over 30 years. That all changed on March 11, 2017 when the Girls’ Varsity Basketball Team won 49-46 over defending champion Walt Whitman. The accomplishment will last a lifetime for both the players and fans.
In most sports, it takes an entire team to win, not just the heroics of one player. And regardless of how one player thinks they performed, they know they wouldn’t have gone as far if it wasn’t for everyone else.
“All our hard work has finally paid off,” junior Jameila Barrett said. “Being able to make a milestone in school history feels exciting and unbelievable. Our leadership has prevailed.”
Even though it always takes an entire team to win, sometimes it only takes one player to motivate an entire team. Seeing this person as a leader, the players make a decision to do what they need to improve.
“It feels amazing,” stated junior Naomi Alford. “The team hadn’t made it to a championship in forever. I think losing counties really motivated us, and if that hadn’t happened, we wouldn’t have won it all.”
You learn from mistakes, not from success. Sometimes you need to come down hard on yourself if you’re going to improve in the long run.
“It feels great, especially as a freshman,” Kolby Weedon, a guard on the team, commented.
One of the main parts of building a winning culture is implementing a great work ethic. This was a key factor in the team’s success.
“We pushed hard at practice, and because of that we were able to win states,” Weedon said.
Another major part when it comes to building a champion is to know that you have fans to support you every step of the way.
“It’s just a great spirit that’s going on in the school,” head coach Mike Mohler said. “This wasn’t anything that was given to us. We earned it. Every kid knew their role, accepted their role, and then some. They knew what their job was and filled in more than admirably.”
Every athlete’s dream is to win a championship, be it grade school, college or the pros. And while the latter two are way bigger than one in high school, the feeling if bringing home the gold for everyone who supports you is like nothing you could ever believe. And when the banner is finally put up to commemorate the milestone, the Girls’ Varsity Team will officially be immortalized in CHS history.

• Girls Basketball Wins States, Breaks Streak

New CHS Fall Play: ‘The Diary of Anne Frank’

Go Home Freshmen: Tradition or Torment?

Top Ten Halloween Costumes for 2017

‘American Horror Story: Cult’ Review

No Spring Break?!

CHS Musicians Represent in Europe on AMA Gold Tour

Get a Head Start through Child Development

Features

Opinions