Confessions of a Chapstick Junkie

McKensey Kleppin and Rose Benny

Everyone loves Chapstick. There are so many flavors, and different colors, And everyone carries a tube with them or throws one in a purse. People love chapstick it’s a fact.

But there are some people who go over the top with their Chapstick love.

Those people are called Chapstick junkies. They look for an ounce of chapstick to soothe the feeling of Sahara desert lips. Some days Chapstick Junkies will have one chapstick with them and sometimes they’ll have 5.

“I love Chapstick. I use a lot of EOS and just plain regular Chapstick, ” sophomore Sarah Stricker said.

Chapstick can however be addictive, thanks to the petroleum in it. That’s why so many people keep buying it and using it. (link this to a website which explains this- hyperlink the word “addictive”)

There isn’t a real “chapstick addiction,” but it can become a psychological habit. The bottom layers of your lips naturally make new cells and each of the layers dries out before it can reach the top layer. When you apply Chapstick or other lip balms, it feels good for the moment, when you apply it. But, the more you apply, the more it reduces the amount of cells needed to produce moisturize for the skin. That why people just keep using lip balm.

Although Chapsticks and products like it don’t have anything chemically addictive, it does have irritating chemicals in it like menthol, camphor, phenol and petroleum. Instead, you can use lip balms based off of petrolatum, bees wax, or oil-based lubricating creams.

It may not always help. Some Chapsticks can even dry out your lips instead of what they are intended to do.

But some people don’t love Chapsick. They prefer other brands. Like Eos, Vaseline, Baby lips, etc.

“I love EOS!!! Chapstick dries out my lips and doesn’t last as long as a chapstick tube would. And it’s harder to lose,”said sophomore Kayleigh Barnabae.

Teens are a big population of the “junkie” group. They buy Chapstick, lose Chapstick, and rebuy it again. Because of this, some students have decided to forgo Chapstick products and let their lips do what they naturally do.

“I don’t use Chapstick. I always lose it, and I don’t want to spend a dollar on something I’ll lose in a week,” said sophomore Daisy Arroyo.

Some teens just don’t use any lip balms at all.

“Never. I think it’s useless. It only works for 5 minutes until you have to put it on again. It’s just not worth it,” said senior Allyson Thomas.

• Confessions of a Chapstick Junkie

• Confessions of a Chapstick Junkie

• Confessions of a Chapstick Junkie

• Confessions of a Chapstick Junkie

• Confessions of a Chapstick Junkie

• Confessions of a Chapstick Junkie

• Confessions of a Chapstick Junkie

• Confessions of a Chapstick Junkie

• Confessions of a Chapstick Junkie

• Confessions of a Chapstick Junkie

Confessions of a Chapstick Junkie