The Weird Things We Eat

Jami Citko and Vicki Zhang

Food: it’s enjoyable, it’s essential, and there are so many different kinds! It’s easy to name 50, even 100 different foods, if given the challenge, but many people would be naming the same ones.

Despite this, there are some people at this school who would be naming things that most people never would think of. Here are some of the strangest cuisines that CHS students have ever eateb.

1. Fish Heart
    This may not be common at all in the U.S., but in the Philippines it’s kind of a delicacy. You may not believe sophomore Richard Hughmanick when he claims to have eaten not only the rest of the fish but also the heart—and enjoyed it.  “It is the best part of the fish. It is so good,” confirmed Hughmanick. The way you eat it might also be considered odd. The fish is cooked whole and then “you cut the fish in half and take out the heart,” described Hughmanick. You may not believe this is edible, but it is actually really healthy.
  2. Snails
    Many are aware of the somewhat-uncommon, yet notably sophisticated dish called escargot, but many Asian countries eat a different dish with the same main ingredient: snails.  “The snail dish is good but I don’t like it,” sophomore Jenny Chen described. Despite its taste, it was difficult to get the flesh out of the shell. I used a toothpick, but it didn’t work, so I gave up,” Chen illustrated.
  3. Copperhead Snake
    Most people don’t eat organisms that can potentially kill you, purely for that reason. There are definitely exceptions, like pufferfish and eel, which are fine as long as they are cooked properly. Copperhead snake, which can be found in Maryland, is another example, although less common.  Sophomore Daniel Li is one of the few who can claim to have eaten this odd dish, sharing this experience with his boy scout troop. Despite acquiring bragging rights, Li expressed that “it tasted like really burnt bread,” and he was not impressed.
  4. Raw Beef
    Many people only eat cooked meat such as beef, but you probably never knew you could eat meat from a cow raw.  “It’s not bad because you put a lot of spices in it so you can’t taste the dead animal,” sophomore Makab Abraham recalled from his experiences in Africa as a child. Even though it tastes good, it’s not quite the experience everyone wants to have. “I’ve seen a cow get slaughtered right in front of me,” Abraham said. “That was pretty traumatizing.”
  5. Goat Heart
    Some people eat goat meat, but not the goat heart. It might be unusual for us, but it’s a common dish in Pakistan.  “I hate it. It is so hard and it gets stuck in my braces sometimes,” freshman Umair Masood explained. Despite the awful taste, Masood’s parents make him eat it because it is healthy for the brain.  “It makes you smarter,” Masood expressed. “That’s my mom’s excuse.”
  6. Live Octupus
    Known as Sannakji in Korea, the eating of cut up octopus that is still moving is actually common in Korea and other Asian countries. “The octopus could move without its head. When you chew it, it’s still moving,” Lynny Luu described. You might not think that chopped up octopus limbs are dangerous, but think again.  “They could suction to your throat and make you choke,” Luu depicted. Along with this unusual dish, Luu herself has also eaten jellyfish, alligator, deer, frog, squirrel, and pufferfish.  “The weird things that I eat just taste like regular food for me,” Luu expressed. They may seem bizzare to natives of Catonsville, Maryland, but to other countries they’re just average meals.

• The Weird Things We Eat

• The Weird Things We Eat

• The Weird Things We Eat

• The Weird Things We Eat

• The Weird Things We Eat

• The Weird Things We Eat

• The Weird Things We Eat

• The Weird Things We Eat

• The Weird Things We Eat

• The Weird Things We Eat

The Weird Things We Eat