Let’s Color Catonsville High

Riley Becker, Staff

Can art be featured throughout CHS?  If you’re a visual artist, the work that you’re proud of should be seen.  The art wing is filled with students’ artwork, so can we make the rest of the school as interesting and amazing?

The art wing always has art hanging in it, but the amount of artwork around the rest of the school changes from principal to principal.  Students’ artwork used to be hung up in the hallways, but Catonsville High’s last principal wanted it taken down because it took up space that could have been used for other programs.

Having the Catonsville High’s annual art show is a privilege for students and a way to share their work, but it is located fairly far away from the school– inconvenient to some people with limited free time and those who don’t have someone available to drive them there.  The show is also only at the end of the school year.

The art teachers like the idea of showcasing students’ art in the school, but it would take effort and they are busy.  There are also restrictions for certain types of art. Large artworks can be difficult to hang and clay is fragile, so there has to be a way to keep some pieces shielded from the busy hallways.

“Because I teach clay, I would only be interested if there were showcases,” says art teacher Windy Spiridigliozzi.

For the annual art show, art teachers make individual decisions about which art should appear, and this method could also be used for art that might be showcased in CHS.

Another possible way to find artwork available for showcasing, and a method that has been used before, is to ask for donations from students and former students.  If students have work that they don’t want to keep, they can choose to donate it to the school.

Switching the art in the halls could also be a job for a variety of art teachers or the head of the art department, Ned Brannon.

There isn’t an abundance of space to hang artwork, but teachers and Principal Matt Ames agree that all of the work must be safe and should be visible to anyone who walks through the school.  The lobby space in the front of the school could be one of those places; it is the first thing people see when they walk into CHS.

If art can’t be showcased throughout the school, there are other opportunities for artists to showcase their talent.  There are 12 shows per year in which the CHS visual arts department participates.  National Art Honor Society and local businesses can also be good places for visual artists to bring their creativity.

CHS has many artists that deserve to be recognized. The art wing is in a different section of the school, and not everyone gets to walk down that hallway.  Can we make the rest of the school as intriguing as the art wing with artwork from CHS’s students?

• Let’s Color Catonsville High

• Let’s Color Catonsville High

• Let’s Color Catonsville High

• Let’s Color Catonsville High

• Let’s Color Catonsville High

• Let’s Color Catonsville High

• Let’s Color Catonsville High

• Let’s Color Catonsville High

• Let’s Color Catonsville High

• Let’s Color Catonsville High

Let’s Color Catonsville High