Should College Really Be Free?

Should College Really Be Free?

Joshua Mesa, Guest Writer

While not having to pay for college would be nice, the reality is it is unavoidable and wouldn’t help those who need it most. Andrew Kelly of the New York Times wrote an article on the subject, suggesting that the idea of “free college” doesn’t make college free, but rather shifts the monetary funding. The money would be gathered from increased taxes, straining the public budget and would lead to shortages in college funds altogether (Kelly). Moreover, free college would attract more potential students, and, with a decrease in funding, college selection would be more rigorous and difficult to acquire (Kelly). What’s the point of free college if it’s going to make it more difficult for students to enter? Furthermore, Matthew Yglasias from Vox.com vocalizes that while college selection gets tighter with decreased funding, only privileged kids with an educated background would benefit from free college. So basically, free college is limiting education. Great job, America, you’ve done it again! As a stressed-out junior in high school, I am aware of the heavy costs accompanied with a college degree. Even so, I study my butt off to get excellent grades so I can go to a decent college with scholarships, decreasing the cost for me to attend. The rigorous process required of students is stress inducing to say the least. Nevertheless, I’m learning to be responsible with my money and time, careful to pick my battles with work, school, and free time. While I recognize the hardships a struggling family must experience when pursuing a path to college, there are programs available already to assist those in need. Free college is unrealistic, and should it be enacted, will have disastrous consequences.