Celebrating the 50th Anniversary of ‘Abbey Road’

Julia Engles, Staff

On September 26, 1969, the Beatles’ iconic 11th studio album Abbey Road was released, making this past September its 50th birthday. Everyone has seen the album coverit’s arguably one of the most famous covers in music history, and it’s amazing how over multiple generations a band can maintain its relevancy.  

From the uplifting tune “Come Together” to the short and sweet conclusion of “Her Majesty,” the album spans a whopping 47 minutes from start to finish. Many CHS students and teachers alike still find themselves recognizing the words to these songs. 

Art department chair Ned Brannon believes, First and foremost, the music is great. Melodies are unique and one of a kind. 

He went on to explain, “Regarding Abbey Road, it has activist songs, love songs, songs that recount real events, songs that focus on basic primal urges and songs that can be interpreted in a variety of different ways. Their music cannot be pigeon-holed into a specific style or genre. Everyone knows it is the Beatles when they hear them because the music is so familiar and famous. Each song has a different feel and sound. The Beatles were always looking for a new approach. They had a great way of combining time-test traditional musical styles and instrumentation with contemporary sounds (many of which they invented) of the day”.  

It seems the style diversity of the Beatles is what pulls listeners toward their music. It’s hard not to like the Beatles when there’s a song that for almost everyone to groove to. Even exclusively on the Abbey Road album, the songs range in sound and purpose.  

Edward Brennan weighed in saying, “Like many people, my favorite Abbey Road songs are on the “B” side of the album. From “Because” to “Her Majesty”. These songs are rarely played on the radio because all of the songs need to be heard in succession”.  

These songs on the B differ so greatly from one to the next but still flow together smoothly. These slick transitions are what makes the album so captivating. From the three-part harmonies in “Because” to short and sweet the tongue-in-cheekiness of “Her Majesty, there’s no denying the album has a broad assortment of songs.  

Sophomore Jacob Monaghan claims that the The Beatles truly have maintained their relevancy, even among the youth.  

When asked why he likes The Beatles, Monaghan replied, “I like them because my grandfather used to listen to, and they make really good music. They were the first to do what they did, and I really admire that. 

The Beatles are indisputably a revolutionary band, and it’s unlikely there will be a generation that has never heard of them. They’re a band that many hold so near it’s as if The Beatles are an heirloom, being passed down from one generation to the next. With that being said, I wish the Abbey Road album a happy 50th birthday, and thank The Beatles for giving the old and young alike the ability to Come Together.