’13 Reasons Why’ Romanticizes Mental Illness

Rayne Thompson, Staff

Thirteen Reasons Why has captured the minds and time of its viewers since its release in 2017. It covers numerous serious and relevant topics such as teen suicide, sexual assault, substance abuse, and so on, all relevant things to cover, just in all the wrong ways.

Not only does this popular Netflix show romanticize mental illness, but it portrays it an inaccurate light.

The show received a mixture of reviews and reactions from its viewers, still, the teen drama’s depictions of high school life and mental illness in youth are inaccurate, any mental health professional would confirm that. Besides the plot holes and annoyingly in-your-face stereotypes, 13RW doesn’t spread awareness like it wants to and, as a result, only makes viewers angry and uncomfortable.

Hannah, the character to commit suicide, comes “back” as an illusion, ghost, or hallucination of another character, although, in reality when someone commits suicide, they’re gone. The show doesn’t seem to lead its audience as it desired, trying to give a pointless paranormal element. Her death seems to play out as more of a revenge plot than anything else. Viewers are pleased with the idea of leaving tapes idea for the people “causing her death.”

“It was glamorizing revenge, in my opinion,” sophomore Ami Blank stated.“I think it glorifies something that shouldn’t be glorified.”

Other teenagers, who don’t even watch the show, have negative opinions.

“I don’t think people should watch it. It should be cancelled,” freshman Eldana Taurat comments.

Author Lucy Greenstein wrote an article on NAMI explaining the failing of the show.

“Mental health and mental illness aren’t discussed at all. This is major failure of the show as 90% of those who die by suicide have an underlying mental illness, and suicide is very often preventable if a person receives the appropriate care.”

Still, people do like the show, and it’s going three seasons strong.