Animal Abuse for Meat and Dairy

Animal Abuse for Meat and Dairy

Rayne Thompson, Staff

Imagine a crying mother, screaming for her baby, isolated and swimming in her own feces. She’s sick and injected with drugs, stuffed into a small pen with plenty other girls just like her, never to see the sun. Now, imagine this mother is a cow.

In the United States, more than 29 million cows, 7 billion chickens, and 1 million pigs are killed for food sold to restaurants, families, and schools. From the day they are born, animals are abused, neglected and taken from their mothers, siblings, and fathers, until the day they die. All without any law to help them.

Even if humans can get by eating meat as it’s natural and good for our diets, no one should accept the mistreatment of an innocent animal.

“Eating them is natural, but treating them like that isn’t,” freshman Makenzy Clopein said.

When still incredibly young, most animals are branded, dehorned, and castrated, all without any ways to ease the pain. Newborns are separated from their parents shortly after birth. That’s obviously not natural, or just morally acceptable. Mother cows are known to cry for their babies for weeks after the separation.

“When I go to Kentucky, all I hear is cows crying,” freshman Krystaul Gardenbroek commented.

This also not entirely natural for animals AND humans. Animals are pumped with antibiotics and hormones to grow unnaturally an/r produce more eggs and milk. This causes an immense strain on animals’ health; chickens can’t even stand properly because of the weight of their bodies. Due to the improper tampering of the “product,” this food can cause diseases or act as poison to humans if not done “correctly.”

We aren’t entirely aware of where we get our food at CHS, just that it’s up to standards. But what are the standards?

“Unfortunately, I don’t know where we get our animal-based products,” cafeteria manager Diane McCrady said.

She is, like many people, upset to know of the horrendous treatment of animals.

“It’s a shame this happens,” Ms. McCrady said.

Animals across the country are treated horribly in their short time of life, which is overall unnecessary and cruel. In nature, humans are to eat animal meat, should we not let them live their lives the way nature intended beforehand?

This is not the story of what you’re eating, it’s of who you’re eating and the lives they lived.