‘Magi: Labyrinth of Magic’ Brings Maga to Life

Samantha Meek, Staff

It takes a lot of imagination, inspiration, action, and art to make a fascinating manga. Manga are graphic/comic novels made in Japan which have become popular worldwide. With these elements combined, they create a story with fascinating art and an outstanding plot.  

This occurs in Shinobu Ohtaka`s famous manga, Magi: Labyrinth of Magic, which lasted from 2009 to 2017 and has been adapted into an anime (Japanese animated television series). 

Magi: Labyrinth of Magic was based on of tales from The Arabian Nights, including “Aladdin,” “Alibaba and the Forty Thieves,” and “Sinbad the Sailor,” as well as mythological creatures such as djinns (also known as genies) and demons, and historical characters from the Old Testament. The story was also created in the setting of the old times in the Arabian countries with numerous regions and nations that have some resemblance to real life counterparts from those times, but it may also have some gruesome bloody moments in it. 

All of this inspiration has been added to create such a series that is so gripping and mind-blowing. Many viewers from Myanimelist and other reviews had great praise for the story, including the characters and plot, but especially the art. 

One of the most outstanding parts about this story is the plot. This series is about three characters, Aladdin, Alibaba, and Morgiana, who join together to ally with kings, princes, multiple nations, and djinns to save thousands of people from an evil organization, Al-Thamen, which plans to cover the world in chaos and ruin and other villains. 

Aladdin is one of the main characters in the story. He is a wise and mysterious but young and wholesome orphan who struggles to know more of his past and what he is. He is known to be called a Magi, a powerful magician. Shinobu creates Aladdin as an innocent 10 or 11-year old child, but one who has seen a lot more and is wiser than any average kid. 

Another character is Alibaba Saluja. He is a prince born in the slums, but who struggles to find his place as king and becomes stronger to take back his kingdom after it has been ruled by his selfish and cruel half-brother. He is known to possess great determination and thinks of others before himself, which makes him an inspiring character that everyone will love.  

The third main character is Morgiana, a slave who was freed by Aladdin and Alibaba themselves. Shinobu has created her as a quiet, distant, and cold person due to her time in slavery, but throughout the series, she has developed a kind and selfless personality as she wishes to become stronger to help her friends and others around her.  

Many manga artists from Japan have created many stories with their own creative art, which makes manga unique. Shinobu Ohtaka`s art develops her characters to show characters look and how they show emotion. The different designs of every single character is inspired by many nations in the Middle East. What`s amazing is their transformations. Remember when I mentioned djinns? When they capture one, they use them to use their powers and help them transform, based on the descriptions of the djinns, which is awesome. 

To create this novel, Shinobu also digs deep into the human world and mind and our world`s problems and takes out so many references and experiences in the social life from all over the world. These experiences from many people`s lives helps readers dig deeper about life, the world, and the things that we have seen or experienced in our world. 

What I love about manga is how the authors put into their stories and how much imagination and art is put into these stories. As a fan of manga, my expectations for Magi: Labyrinth of Magic have gone so high, way above my expectations. It has absolutely changed my outlook about life. If you love manga with tons of action that will blow your mind, I highly recommend you read Magi: Labyrinth of Magic. 

• ‘Magi: Labyrinth of Magic’ Brings Maga to Life

What is the Child Development Class?

CHS Prepares for ‘Test of All Tests’