‘Two Towers’ Continues Epic Journey

‘Two Towers’ Continues Epic Journey

Samantha Meek, Staff

Are you still struggling on a long journey and have a guide who is a complete psychopath? What about having to fight in a war where you believe you might lose? Let`s continue our cinematic journey to Modor in The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers released in 2002. 

The Two Towers is based on the 2nd part of J.R.R Tolkien`s trilogy The Lord of the Rings and reflects Tolkien’s view on war as he was a veteran of WWI. The movie became the highest-grossing film of 2002, won numerous accolades, and earned six Academy award nominations. Of the three films, this one is often regarded as the best. 

While a continuation from the Fellowship of the RingThe Two Towers is structured with its own three storylines. Frodo (Elijah Wood) and Samwise (Sean Astin) go their own ways and continue to Modor together to destroy the One Ring, but during their adventure, they meet Gollum (Andy Serkis) and persuades him to help them get to Modor. Aragorn (Viggo Mortenson), the elf Legolas (Orlando Bloom), the dwarf Gimli (John Rhys-Davies), and the wizard Gandalf (Ian McKellen) journey to the war-torn nation called Rohan and struggle to help Theoden (Bernard Hill), the king of Rohan win an impossible battle. Meanwhile, the other hobbits, Merry (Dominic Monaghan) and Pippin (Billy Boyd) meets an Ent named Treebeard (John Rhys-Davies). 

We get to meet new characters in the movie. For example, Gollum, a wretched creature whom Frodo and Sam met on their journey, seems to have two sides to his personality. He has a good, innocent side who grew a liking to Frodo since Frodo took pity on Gollum, and a bad side who is a trickster who hates Frodo because he possess the One Ring. 

The audience also meets the Ent Treebeard, a talking and walking ancient tree, while on the journey of Merry and Pipkin to reunite with the remainder of the Fellowship. Through CGI, the Ents are brought to life; they actually look like real trees, with twisted faces and features and expressions as they speak in a low timbre (pun maybe intended). 

Let`s talk about the settings. Many of the settings are not cheerful or peaceful like the Shire, but more chilling and, well, a little sinister. For example, the Dead Marshes was set in Kepler Mire, known as the Dismal Swamp and the largest wetland in New Zealand. The Dead Marshes is one of the creepiest settings in the movie. Another setting, Rohan, is a very wide setting with a chilling story. Rohan was made in Christchurch, Canterbury in New Zealand. Christchurch has the wide green plains and high mountains that surrounds Rohan in the distance, making scenes absolutely stunning.  

The soundtrack has themes which connect to the characters’ adventures and battles. Some of the tracks have hopeful tones that lighten the scenes, like the tracks “Samwise the Brave” and “Forth Erolingas.” The former relates back to the Shire with a happy and innocent tone, but then becomes a little dark, for it foreshadows what might lead to the next part of the story. “Erolingas,” on the other hand, is battle music, packing a beautiful tone, then changing to charging, battle-like music; the opera singers that are included make it even better.  

The movie is action-packed with the actors performing many of the stunts and suffering some injuries. Among them, Mortenson broke two of his toes and chipped a tooth during a battle scene; Bloom fell off a horse and broke three of his ribs.  

Through this LOR installment with its tragedies and tiny bits of comedy, there is a lesson: there is always hope, and, even in a room full of darkness, there is always light. Sam especially teaches that because people keep on fighting, it means they`re fighting for something worth fighting for.

• ‘Two Towers’ Continues Epic Journey

What is the Child Development Class?

• ‘Two Towers’ Continues Epic Journey

CHS Prepares for ‘Test of All Tests’

• ‘Two Towers’ Continues Epic Journey

• ‘Two Towers’ Continues Epic Journey

• ‘Two Towers’ Continues Epic Journey

• ‘Two Towers’ Continues Epic Journey

• ‘Two Towers’ Continues Epic Journey

• ‘Two Towers’ Continues Epic Journey

• ‘Two Towers’ Continues Epic Journey

• ‘Two Towers’ Continues Epic Journey

‘Two Towers’ Continues Epic Journey