‘Happy Death Day’: Scary, Comical, Existential

Vicki Zhang, Staff

Imagine having a secret murderer with a baby face mask that constantly follows you around. One night, you get attacked by the secret murderer, and something very weird happens. You wake up the same way you woke up the day you got attacked rather than being dead. Is that possible? Well, it can possibly be a dream. But as the same day keeps repeating every time you get killed or at least you were supposed to be dead, you know something is wrong. You must find the source to this madness and stop it.  

On October 13, 2017, Universal Pictures released the movie, Happy Death Day. It was extremely popular when it was first released for its darkly humorous sci-fi spin on slasher conventions. This movie is just like Groundhog’s Day with a hint of horror in it. In the light of the sequel of Happy Death Day, Happy Death Day 2 U, here is a review to refresh people’s memories.  

The main characters are Tree Gelbman (Jessica Rothe), Carter Davis (Israel Broussard), Lori Spengler (Ruby Modine), and Danielle Bouseman (Rachel Matthews).  

The protagonist of the movie, Tree, is a self-centered college student and sorority sister. The movie revolves around her showing her gradual change as the day continues to loop. There are many theories on why Tree is in a time loop, but the most popular theory is that the loop is mainly for Tree to redeem herself for everything she did wrong. Through dying over and over, she rediscovers an appreciation of life. Her acting is on point throughout the movie as she shows the stages of fear. The way she grabs her hair and screams with smudged makeup on her face increases the insanity.  

Other characters act fairly well too. They are passionate about their roles and act accordingly. Carter’s confused look when Tree is trying to explain the loop, Danielle’s snobby attitude, and Lori’s fake innocence all contribute to the movie.  

The scenery in the movie is also very top-notch. The movie was shot at and around Loyola University in New Orleans, Louisiana. The campus is extremely big and luxurious.  

The most shocking scene is when you realize Tree’s roommate, Lori, was the real murderer all this time.  Who could have expected this? She added poison into the birthday cupcake for Tree. The feeling of being betrayed by someone who you thought of as a friend for a long time is unbelievable. What’s even more shocking is the reasoning behind the murder: Lori’s jealousy towards Tree for being all close to her doctor crush, Gregory Butler (Charles Aitken). This is a rather rad reason for committing murder.  

If you are trying to find a comical, but thrilling movie to watch with your family, friends, or even significant other during this eerie snowy weather, Happy Death Day is totally recommended. 

Vicki Zhang, Staff

Hi I am a junior, and I like to dance. I really like food and chickens.

• ‘Happy Death Day’: Scary, Comical, Existential

Valentine’s Day Clichés: No Way or OK?

Stay Immune to Senioritis