Here’s Another ‘Grinch’

Here’s Another ‘Grinch’

Beth Wolde, Staff

The Grinch is a more modern, updated animated version of Dr. Seuss’s How the Grinch Stole Christmas. New Grinch animation captures audiences with its new aesthetic while still going along with the Dr. Seuss classic story.

Just like before, the Grinch is a weird green man who hates Christmas and is determined to ruin it for the people of Whoville. In the end, the Grinch shows that bad people can be redeemed and become good.

People like to revisit and remake the Grinch story. There has also been a stage of version called Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas! The Musical, the well-known animated TV special in 1967, and a live-action movie.

Viewers familiar with the story will learn new background information about the character. For example, in the opening scene the audience is introduced to the Grinch spending his morning drinking bitter coffee and indulging in his misery.

The scene describes why the Grinch hates Christmas makes viewers feel bad for him–even guilty for judging his actions after seeing his childhood. The audience is given a better understanding of his actions.

Animations of the Grinch stealing Christmas were very well thought out and had a modern twist with the Grinch’s gadgets. During the heist of his first house, the Grinch uses multi-use candy cane rods that act as his main way of snatching the items from houses. They can grip large sums of gifts and carefully place them in bags that the Grinch can put on his innovated Santa sled.

The Grinch also had boots that allowed him easily to infiltrate the Who’s houses. His dog, Max, waited patiently in the sled with his own set of gadgets to collect the Grinch’s bags. This scene of him snatching all the decorations in Whoville was very eye catching, resulting in many Ohs and Ahs in the cinema.

The film also brought to life another classic character from the book, little Cindy Lou Who, because viewers see what she goes through in her day to day life. The addition of her storyline provides a better idea of how she was able to get through to the Grinch in the end, along with a deeper understanding of her desires, especially regarding her family.

The depiction of Cindy Lou’s single mom household brought the film back to real life struggles that people go through, rather than sugar-coating Whoville as a place where everyone is always happy and carefree.

The causal acceptance of the Grinch’s apology has never been a logical plot event in any version of the story, especially considering all the terrible things he had done to ruin Whoville’s Christmas. Though it is a part of the Who’s nature to be forgiving, like when Cindy Lou said, “You’ve been by yourself long enough,” it’s not very realistic.

Most wouldn’t so easily forgive someone after that type of behavior. This may be a way of incorporating the lesson that bad people should be given a chance to be redeemed and become good, but it doesn’t work in this story version either. Although we get a back story and maybe have more compassion for the Grinch, it doesn’t change that he’s, well, just a “mean one” who doesn’t deserve the kindness of the Whos.

Beth Wolde, Staff

Hi I’m Beth, a sophomore at Catonsville High School. I like art, and this is my first year taking journalism.

• Here’s Another ‘Grinch’

• Here’s Another ‘Grinch’

• Here’s Another ‘Grinch’

• Here’s Another ‘Grinch’

• Here’s Another ‘Grinch’

• Here’s Another ‘Grinch’

• Here’s Another ‘Grinch’

• Here’s Another ‘Grinch’

• Here’s Another ‘Grinch’

Valentine’s Day Clichés: No Way or OK?

• Here’s Another ‘Grinch’

Stay Immune to Senioritis

Here’s Another ‘Grinch’