A Star is Born 2018, a Remake Worth the Time

Ashley Metzbower, Staff

A Star is Born puts you on a roller-coaster of emotions.  

The official trailer for A Star is Born shows exactly what you’ll see in the movie: the performances, the love, and the hardships. Just watching the trailer will give you chills, so truly seeing the movie with all the elements of emotion is very breathtaking.  

This movie is based on the book and was the second remake of the original movie. The original movie was created in 1954, then followed by a remake in 1976.  

A movie connoisseur might be tempted to revisit the 1976 version, with Barbra Streisand and Kris Kristofferson, but according to reviews, do not. Even though Streisand won an Oscar for her song “Evergreen”, the movie was pretty bad. The words “condescending” and “bogus” were used in a lot of critical reviews.  

And if a movie critic has the even larger desire to go back further to the 1954 original version, with Judy Garland and James Mason, they will find the film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being “culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant”. It ranked #43 on the American Film Institute’s :100 years (of outstanding movies) and #7 on the list of greatest musicals. Judy Garland was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actress for this amazing film.   

Lady Gaga has openly admitted to her admiration of Streisand and that she is her idol. Streisand gave Bradley Cooper and Gaga her “blessing” during filming for the newest version. There are even Oscar mentions for Gaga.  

In the 2018 version, Cooper directed, wrote, and starred in the movie, which is a lot for one person to do. He played the role of Jackson Maine, an alcoholic and drug addicted musician, which is shown as soon as the movie begins. He meets Ally, a waitress and singer songwriter, played by Gaga, and falls for her. Maine helps Ally and her musical career, leaving him back with his old habits. 

Gaga is not only a good singer but did an incredible job acting. Every time Gaga sang, you could feel the emotions through her voice and the song, especially as she sang the song “Shallow” with Cooper when they first sang together on stage.  

Also, Cooper can sing well, which wasn’t known until he really sang in the movie. Going along with this, the rest of the music was very remarkable. The soundtrack of the movie was sensational. The songs really helped show what’s going on in the movie because both of the actors were played as singers, so when they would sing it would show what they are trying to say.  

The movie keeps you on your toes because it goes back and forth between Ally’s now chaotic career and Jackson’s personal complications. The ending will leave you heartbroken, just like every other version of this story, with a stream of tears running down your face. 

It’s still being played in local theaters like AMC Columbia and R/C Hollywood Cinema, even though the movie was released October 5, 2018. A Star is Born is a pretty long movie—2 hours and 15 minutes—but is definitely worth the time to watch it.

Ashley Metzbower, Staff

Hi, I'm Ashley Metzbower, and I'm a sophomore here at Catonsville. I enjoy writing and I'm excited to be able to do so in the school newspaper!

• A Star is Born 2018, a Remake Worth the Time

Valentine’s Day Clichés: No Way or OK?

Stay Immune to Senioritis

Spider Man Moves into ‘Spider Verse’

Have Fun in the Dead of Winter

Forgotten History: The Integration of CHS

Let’s Talk About Periods (For Once)

Red Dead Redemption 2: A Sequel Worth Waiting For

Day In the Life of T.O

Cell Phones Distract, Teachers Say

Winter Wonder Week: A Second Spirit Week!