Get Cozy With These Titles This Winter

Jami Citko, Staff

When the weather outside becomes frightful, but hot chocolate and blankets are so delightful…it’s nice to have a good book to read. Whether you’re a devoted bookworm or just in need of a way to pass the time indoors, the following 6 titles are sure to satisfy. 

If on a Winter’s Night a Traveler
Italo Calvino
This intricate, layered novel does something a bit different than most books: it addresses you, The Reader, as a main character…and that’s just the beginning. With multiple main stories, framed text, breaking of the fourth wall, mixed up page numbers, and multiple interpretations, The Reader is definitely in for a ride. It may be complicated, but what better on a long winter day than something to capture your full attention? 

The Dresden Files
Jim Butcher
If you’re a fan of fantasy and looking for a new series to dive into, these books are for you. Following the adventures of a police consultant in Chicago, who also happens to be a wizard, these 16 books are sure to keep you engaged for as long as you need. Once you finish one book, you’ll want to pick up the next right away. 

The Shining
Stephen King
Set in Colorado during the snowy winter months, this classic novel displays a man’s descent into insanity as he and his family stay the season in an empty vintage hotel. For fans of creepy, psychologically-stimulating stories, this is the way to go…who knows; maybe you’ll start to feel trapped in that hotel, too. 

Murder on the Orient Express
Agatha Christie
There’s something about mysteries that make them perfect for winter, and what better than one of the most famous mystery novelists of all time? Another winter-based classic, this book will keep you captivated for hours as you attempt to sort out the clues and come to a reasonable conclusion, making it a great cure for that inevitable winter boredom. 

Blackout and All Clear
Connie Willis
These two thick novels make up one epic story surrounding three time-travelers who have found themselves trapped in the London Blitz. Historical facts, the complexities of time travel, and engrossing character relationships make this long-winded tale worth the read and perfect for being cooped up for long periods of time. You won’t want to put it down. 

Mariana
Susanna Kearsley
Shorter and sweeter, this story follows a young woman who moves into the country. Everything is going well for her…until she begins to experience episodes in which she exists as a different person about 300 years prior living in the same town. The book explores the implications of reincarnation, using strong doses of suspense and romance to create a fascinating read, perfect for a day indoors.

Jami Citko, Staff

Living simultaneously in the world and in the Twilight Zone

• Get Cozy With These Titles This Winter

Getting to the Bottom of Crowded Hallways

Get Cozy With These Titles This Winter