Incredibles 2: Worth 14-Year Wait

Incredibles 2: Worth 14-Year Wait

Adam Carroll, Staff

Pixar’s latest installment of the Incredibles was long overdue. Fans had high expectations for Incredibles 2, a sequel to the 2004 hit. With an all-star cast, new characters, a compelling plot, breath taking CGI, a lot of comedy, and a great musical score, it delivered. One of the biggest hits of the summer, it became the first animated film to gross $600 million. The 14-year wait was worth every penny.

Most of the cast from the original has returned. Craig T. Nelson reprised his role as Mr. Incredible, a hero whose power is super strength. Holly Hunter also returned to voice Elastigirl, whose power is elasticity, as did Samuel L. Jackson, who voiced their family friend, Frozone, who can freeze water.

In addition to the old familiar characters, there were a bunch of new “supers,” most notable of which is a girl named Voyd, played by Sophia Bush, has the power to create wormholes.

The film starts off right where the predecessor left off. Mr. Incredible, Elastigirl, and their kids, Violet, Dash, and Jack-Jack, fight the Underminer, a mole like villain, who lives underground. The damage caused by the incident causes the public to hate on superheroes. However, a tycoon of a telecommunications company named Winston Deavor and his sister, Evelyn, come up with a scheme to change the public’s opinion about supers. He taps Elastigirl to do some hero work that will get people to appreciate them again.

This leaves Mr. Incredible to become a stay at home dad and take care of the three kids. From the get-go, he struggles to take good care of them. Violet gets mad at him for screwing up her social life, Dash doesn’t understand his math homework, and Jack-Jack, who was previously thought to have no powers, starts discovering them. They were previously shown in the original, as well as the short film, Jack-Jack Attack. These problems take a big toll on Mr. Incredible because Elastigirl was the stay at home parent in the original film and the fact he misses being a hero only exacerbates that. 

The 14-year gap also allowed for technological improvement with the CGI. Back when the original was made, computer animation was still a work in progress and since it was the first Pixar film where humans were the main characters, they had to work on making them look realistic. However, the animators were able to work on it without a sweat in the sequel. They also paid more attention to detail in all the scenes. For example, when Elastigirl tries to stop a train, they added in sparks, something they didn’t do in the original.

There was also some comedy thrown into the film, some of which was relatable. For example, when Dash can’t do his math homework, Mr. Incredible complains about how the school changed math. Some interpret this as a jab at common core math, which has left students and parents alike confused. It was a very humorous scene many people can relate to.

The musical score was conducted by Michael Giacchino, a man who has conducted scores of other great Pixar classics such as the first Incredibles, Ratatouille, Up, and Coco. He was able to work his magic again, even making theme songs for the superheroes.

For all the good things about the movie, it still had its downsides. For example, the villain, the Screenslaver, is not as cool as Syndrome, the original’s first villain and arguably the best one Pixar has ever created. Overall, most people still consider the first to be the better of the two movies. Still, the sequel was a great film which has helped put Pixar on the right track in terms of making good movies after a few mediocre ones.  

Verdict: 9/10 

Adam Carroll, Staff

Hi, my name's Adam, and I'm currently a junior. This is my second year writing for the Comet and, in my spare time, I love keeping up with sports  and...

• Incredibles 2: Worth 14-Year Wait

• Incredibles 2: Worth 14-Year Wait

• Incredibles 2: Worth 14-Year Wait

• Incredibles 2: Worth 14-Year Wait

• Incredibles 2: Worth 14-Year Wait

• Incredibles 2: Worth 14-Year Wait

• Incredibles 2: Worth 14-Year Wait

• Incredibles 2: Worth 14-Year Wait

• Incredibles 2: Worth 14-Year Wait

• Incredibles 2: Worth 14-Year Wait

Incredibles 2: Worth 14-Year Wait