‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’ Provides Icon’s Backstory

Adam Carroll, Staff

Solo: A Star Wars Story is the latest installment of the four-decade old franchise that many people love. This installment is the second of three movies from a trilogy separate from the sequel trilogy. It focuses on one of the most iconic characters of all time, Han Solo, approximately a decade before the events of the original trilogy. 

One good thing about the movie is that it shows how Han became the character he is in the originals. It shows how he got his identity, how he met friends like Chewbacca and Lando Calrissian, how he got into the smuggling business, and how he got his famous ship, the Millennium Falcon. 

There is a lot of suspense in the film, along with twists and turns along the way, which does a good job of building tension in the audience. The tension is seen in multiple scenes which show the characters escaping danger. There are also some betrayals. This is foreshadowed in the trailer when one of the characters says, “Assume everyone will betray you, and you’ll never be disappointed.” These betrayals profoundly affect the plot. 

The actors are also pretty good. Donald Glover, who plays Lando, looks a lot a younger version of the Billy Dee Williams Lando, and he even sounds like the character from the original movies. Alden Ehrenreich, who played Han, had some big shoes to fill. The fact that Han wasn’t being played by Harrison Ford took the audience a while to get used to. However, he got a lot of coaching from Ford himself so he could perform his role. 

There was also a big cameo that got people talking. Without giving away anything, it is a character that appeared in the prequels and the Clone Wars. 

For all the many positive aspects, however, there were a few letdowns. 

One downside was the droid character, L3-37. To some fans, she was a very annoying character, joining a list of characters like Jar-Jar Binks and Rose Tico. 

Also, Solo isn’t the best movie ever. The only incentive for someone to go see this installment is if they’re a huge Star Wars fan or a big fan of Han Solo. 

In conclusion, while this movie is far from perfect, it’s the best of the newest Star Wars installments. If you’re a big fan of Han Solo, you’re going to love this movie because the movie shows how he developed into the character he is in Episodes 4-6. 

Verdict: 8/10 

Adam Carroll, Staff

Hi, my name's Adam, and I'm currently a junior. This is my second year writing for the Comet and, in my spare time, I love keeping up with sports  and...

• ‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’ Provides Icon’s Backstory