Catonsville Krispy Kreme Worth the Trip

In early April, a new Catonsville donut-hub opened on Route 40 in the home of the old McDonald’s. Despite a pushback from the original Grand Opening date (March 27) due to high and damaging winds, the business is up, running, and selling hot donuts quicker than you can say “give me a half dozen.”

The franchise is open with their signature red “Hot Light” from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Sundays through Thursdays and 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays.

The business offers a variety of classic donuts and special ones, too. Some classics are glazed, chocolate iced glazed, chocolate iced with cream filling, strawberry iced, and powdered strawberry-filled. Some unique ones are New York cheesecake, Oreo cookies and Cream, Nutter Butter cookie twist, cake batter, and dulce de leche.

It appears the store prides themselves on fresh and hot donuts, and although the donuts were delicious, some of them were old and/or cold. Surprisingly, there was one instance where an employee reached into the trashcan for a donut before dipping it into chocolate icing (yes, that’s they way they catch the overflow from the conveyor belt, and the trashcan is clean, but it’s still unappetizing). That’s one donut I wouldn’t like!

Compared to other local donut shops, like Dunkin’ Donuts, the consistency of Krispy Kreme’s cake donuts is much thicker and full. They taste and feel as if there was a lot more donut, instead of a flaky cake with minimal icing that you’d see elsewhere.

The store also offers a variety of coffee drinks ranging from hot, to iced, to frozen lattes. All of these drinks are good; however, the staff can sometimes be slow to pick up on orders. When I ordered a coffee, one worker put a cup on the counter and left it there for fifteen minutes before another employee threw it away. After I asked where my coffee was, they were unknowledgeable of the mix-up and another had to be made. For a new donut business, a business where coffee is central, this isn’t the service I’d like.

One of the best parts about the restaurant is the aesthetic. There is lots of comfortable seating, including couches and tables; there’s even a bar and stools where you can sit and watch as the hot donuts approach the cascading wall of glazed icing.

Overall, the new link to the franchise has its flaws, but sill produces delicious and wholesome donuts. It’s a nice addition to the crowded Route 40, and I’m sure, a new hangout for many Catonsville citizens.

• Catonsville Krispy Kreme Worth the Trip

Getting to the Bottom of Crowded Hallways

CHS Got Milk?

CHS Varsity Football Mid-Season Report

Wilde Serves as Temporary AP

Shaping Up Social Media Accounts for College

Catonsville Krispy Kreme Worth the Trip