The Truth About ‘Truth or Dare’

Rayner Reinhardt, Staff

The 2018 “thriller,” Truth or Dare, released on Friday, April 13, is aimed at teenage viewers and a mere shot at a trendy horror movie for the season.       

The movie follows a group of college friends on their Spring Break to Mexico: a week of partying, love triangles, and booze. On the last night of their trip, the group is persuaded to follow Carter, a guy they met at the bar, to an abandoned building for a supposed night of fun. Prompted by Carter, the kids start a game of truth or dare. After pointless questions with a few sharp accusations, Carter reveals that the real reason he brought them to the building was to pass on the cursed game. He warns them that if you don’t answer truthfully, you’ll die. 

The kids go home, thinking Carter was just a crazed lunatic, and go back to their normal routine and classes. However, the kids find out that Carter wasn’t lying when demonic figments of their imagination start asking them the cursed question: truth or dare?  

The movie is nothing more than a game gone wrong—the plot is neither engaging nor thrilling. The plot had a lot of potential; the demons could’ve forced out threatening secrets or made the kids do ridiculous dares, more people could’ve gotten involved, or a new demon could’ve created more plot. Instead, the same kids were asking the typical high school gossip questions, and we all knew someone was going to die next.  

The acting was sub-par, and this probably wasn’t even due to the actors themselves. The writing allowed for no character development besides the typical party-girl, sweet boyfriend, and heroic best friend. Olivia (Lucy Hale), the main character, had sparks of emotion, like trying to keep a secret she didn’t even want to tell her best friend, but the plot was never fully developed around them. Not to mention, their occasional humor wasn’t intentional. When the demons would take form of a human, the devilish smile they would have was more funny than it was scary.  

The writing seemed to strive for serious horror. But, the snapchat-esque camera work, the supposedly thrilling remarks, and the “jump scares” were nothing but comical. It’s always a shame to laugh at something so bad. 

When you look up this movie, it’s categorized as “thriller film/horror.” Even with my limited experience in the horror movie world, I knew that this film did not reach the standards. Blood and gore was almost non-existent, the jump scares were ineffective and poorly timed, and the villain was barely developed. I’d personally categorize this film as a comedy or maybe a “horror movie for wusses.”  

Overall, I’d recommend the movie for a casual party movie, you know, something that people don’t pay all that much attention to. But, for a horror buff, I’d recommend sticking to the Hitchcock and Carpenter.  

• The Truth About ‘Truth or Dare’

• The Truth About ‘Truth or Dare’

Getting to the Bottom of Crowded Hallways

• The Truth About ‘Truth or Dare’

CHS Got Milk?

• The Truth About ‘Truth or Dare’

CHS Varsity Football Mid-Season Report

• The Truth About ‘Truth or Dare’

Wilde Serves as Temporary AP

• The Truth About ‘Truth or Dare’

Shaping Up Social Media Accounts for College

• The Truth About ‘Truth or Dare’

• The Truth About ‘Truth or Dare’

• The Truth About ‘Truth or Dare’

• The Truth About ‘Truth or Dare’

The Truth About ‘Truth or Dare’