CHS Cheerleaders Should Cheer for Girls’ Sports

Alexis Kahler, Staff

Almost every school in America has cheerleaders who root for sports teams and attend their own competitions. However, while CHS has cheerleaders, it’s a well-known fact that our award-winning cheerleaders don’t cheer for our girls’ junior varsity and varsity teams, only the boys’ teams.

Head coach Lindsay Littlejohn of the CHS cheerleaders shared that the decision of where, when, and who the cheerleaders cheer for is not up to her.

“The cheerleaders try to support all athletics, but the calendar is ultimately determined based on the home games and the cheerleaders’ availability after invitational and county championships have been scheduled,” Coach Littlejohn explained.

Head coach for the girls’ field hockey teams, Barb Bates, disagrees.

“The cheerleaders should be supporting all of the athletic teams to boost school spirit. Their cheer schedule should be equitably split among male and female athletic teams,” Coach Bates said.

It’s sometimes hard to understand that cheerleading isn’t just a club for cheering for other teams but is a sport with a busy schedule. It’s hard for the cheerleading teams to practice for coming events and attend and support other teams such as basketball and field hockey.

Littlejohn shared another reason and maybe the main reason why the cheerleaders don’t attend the girls’ basketball games.

“A few years ago, the cheerleaders were asked to avoid girls’ basketball events because the basketball players did not want to cheerleaders at the games,” Coach Littlejohn shared.

The JV girls’ basketball team said otherwise.

They all generally agreed that even though the cheerleaders can get annoying and distracting sometimes, but overall, they are fun to have and are a part of the game.

It’s clear that it’s nothing personal between either sports team, but just a mutual understanding.

“Personally, I believe all sports teams, including cheerleading, should support each other, either by attending sporting events, congratulating the athletes in school, or cheering them on at tournaments,” Coach Littlejohn said.

The JV cheerleaders also agree that it’s important for sports teams to support one another.

“I think it’s pretty unfair that we only cheer for the boys because the girls’ team does just as much if not more,” explained cheerleader Fletcher Thomas.

Thomas also added that he thinks that it’s unfair to the girls’ teams and that he would personally rather cheer for and represent the girls’ teams even if it’ s not the most traditional.

Coach Bates revealed that she didn’t know why the cheerleaders were not at their games, but that they would love to have them.

“I also think it’s really important that cheerleaders cheer at regional and county championship games,” Coach Bates said.

Head coach for the CHS girls’ varsity soccer team, Enrique Sanchez agreed.

“To me, cheerleaders are the embodiment of the school spirit. They are representing the school in a positive, creative way, all the while promoting and supporting their fellow student athletes,” Coach Sanchez shared.

Coach Sanchez revealed that like Coach Bates, he didn’t know why the cheerleaders don’t cheer for the girls’ soccer teams.

“Truthfully I do not know. Even though the upcoming fall will be my third season coaching girls’ varsity soccer at CHS, I am still learning nuances of the High School’s traditions, customs and annual student events,” Coach Sanchez said.

It’s important that every sports team supports other teams. It brings the teams and school together and benefits everyone.

Alexis Kahler, Staff

Hi, I’m Alexis, and I am a freshman this year at CHS. I love to play basketball and run cross-country. GO COMETS!!!!

• CHS Cheerleaders Should Cheer for Girls’ Sports