The Sudden Appearance of Hope: A Genius Concept

Jami Citko, Staff

It’s an average day. You wake up, get ready for school, and grab some breakfast. On the way out the door, you see your mom in the kitchen. 

“Bye, mom,” you say. 

She looks at you, quizzically, but manages to stammer, “Who are you?” 

This is the situation of Hope Arden. One day she wakes up and everyone has forgotten who she was. And then they forget again. No matter how many times she meets someone in person, they forget her as soon as she is no longer in sight. 

This is yet another one of Claire North’s genius concepts, which she has managed to turn into a magnificent, suspenseful, breathtaking piece of work: The Sudden Appearance of Hope. 

The story is told from Hope’s point of view, diving deep into her own mind as she copes with her bizarre existence. Set in the modern day during her early adult life, she is easy to get attached to as a character, and as the story progresses the reader becomes unsure of whether to pity her or admire her or both. She is intelligent, strong-willed despite how easily her situation could break her, and although some of her decisions are questionable she is understandable and undeniably human. She shows strong character development as she is faced with challenges and decisions more difficult than anyone should have to. 

Although the concept of Hope is the center of the novel, it also explores another interesting concept: Perfection. 

In the novel, Perfection is an app which coaches people how to be, well, perfect. It is advertised as something that will help people get in shape and raise their self-esteem, but quickly becomes more of an issue as thousands of people across the world form obsessions with becoming “perfect” and begin changing everything about themselves, including their personalities. In fact, the novel begins after the suicide of a woman who had the app, which calls Hope’s attention to it. 

The plot itself is suspenseful but not too slow, as Hope is almost immediately called to action yet is at first unsure of what comes next. The reader also remains unsure, as the story is continuously unpredictable. It is nearly impossible to figure out what comes next, and yet when it happens it makes perfect sense. A sort of knew-it-all-along effect is produced, although the reader did not, in fact, know it all along. 

Hope’s backstory is also revealed throughout the novel. One chapter will be about the main plot and the next will transport the reader back to one of the many challenging situations Hope has dealt with in the past regarding her strange existence, each revealing new details about her character and contributing to the reader’s overall interpretation of her. There are also occasionally a few extra tidbits of information, mere things that are on Hope’s mind, such as goddesses of the sun and the rules of card counting. These are a bit distracting yet add a sense of added realism to the novel as Hope’s thoughts are displayed. Though these additions take focus away from the main plot, they provide interesting insight and relevance and are worth reading for contemplation’s sake alone. 

As the plot progresses, tensions build up between characters, and it becomes more of an emotional rollercoaster. The roles of good and evil are far from clearly defined. Hope’s motives are clear but her goal remains in turmoil. There is no one she can trust, and no one really trusts her either, as they forget her as soon as she is out of sight. 

All in all, Hope’s narrative is fascinating, action-packed, and will leave readers breathless and wide-eyed. If you’re looking for something interesting and unique, The Sudden Appearance of Hope will make you contemplate your own existence yet maintain the elements that simply tell a great story. 

Jami Citko, Staff

Living simultaneously in the world and in the Twilight Zone

• The Sudden Appearance of Hope: A Genius Concept

Getting to the Bottom of Crowded Hallways