Academy-Nominated ‘Dunkirk” Worth the View

Nate Henry, Staff

Dunkirk tells the story of the evacuation of Dunkirk during WW2. Written, produced, and directed by Christopher Nolan, the story is told through the perspective of the air land and sea, using little dialogue and a lot of action.  

Thousands of allied soldiers retreated to Dunkirk during the 1940 fall of France. The movie follows Tommy, a young British private on the beach with his friends Gibson and Alex, along with thousands of soldiers awaiting evacuation. It also follows the story of Mr. Dawson and his son Peter, who set out to sea on their boat from England, headed towards Dunkirk. Throughout the film, all of the soldiers are slowly evacuated until the commander watches the last British 30,000 British soldiers leave. 

Nolan, the director of the Batman trilogy and Inception, wrote, produced, and directed the story of the World War 2 catastrophe exceedingly well. He shows the allied British troops trying to escape the French city Dunkirk before the Nazis get a hold of them. The main cast includes Fionn Whitehead, Tom Glynn-Carney, Jack Lowden, Harry Styles, Aneurin Barnard, James D’Arcy, Barry Keoghan, Kenneth Branagh, Cillian Murphy, Mark Rylance, and Tom Hardy. Distributed by Warner Bros., the film is the highest-grossing World War II film of all time, taking in $525 million worldwide. 

Dunkirk received praise for its screenplay, musical score, and cinematography. Some critics have called it Nolan’s best film to date. 

Nolan’s use of the beach and oceans dark tones gives a sense of fear throughout the entire film, especially when the soldiers are on the beach being attacked by fighter planes. 

Christopher Nolan really captures everything that can be through a camera. Nolan does a good job with the depth of field especially in the ocean scenes with boats. The cinematography in Dunkirk is great. The way Nolan created the film is with action, not much dialogue, is unique. In the beginning, during the scene where the troops are in the empty city running from bullets flying at them, the movie’s emphasis on action is very apparent through the cinematography. The film is all exciting, and it’s hard for the audience to get off the edge of its seat. 

The music, written by Hans Zimmer, is intense, hardly stopping. Nolan uses an audio illusion called a shepherd tone. “It’s an illusion where there’s a continuing ascension of tone. It’s a corkscrew effect,” Nolan said. He used this a lot in the fighting scenes to make the viewer feel as if they were right there on the beach during World War   

Dunkirk is an amazing film, with a rating of 94% on Rotten Tomatoes. If you haven’t seen it yet, the reviews speak for itself. It is an amazing film. 

• Academy-Nominated ‘Dunkirk” Worth the View

We R Generation Z

Avengers ‘Infinity War’: Is It Really That Good?

How to Slam those AP Exams!

A Student’s Guide to Water Bottles

Girls Basketball Goes For Repeat

Juuling: A Complete Overview

Snow Days Pile Up