‘Greatest Showman’ Inspires Audiences

Melissa Tolton, Staff

The Greatest Showman is a new movie that came out on Christmas Day. Directed by Michael Gracey, the film portrays the story of P.T. Barnum, played by Hugh Jackman, and the struggles he goes through to start a circus that is totally looked down at during the time period. Alongside Hugh Jackman, Zac Efron plays Philip Carlyle, Barnum’s junior ringleader, and Zendaya plays Anne Wheeler, an African American trapeze artist in the circus. 

One of the best things about this movie is how it develops the plot. It follows the steps P.T. Barnum goes through in order to get the circus started. After being fired from his job Barnum buys a museum, which doesn’t bring much money so he turns it into a circus. The movie follows Barnum’s journey in recruiting people for the circus and attracting a large audience. It shows the criticism and revolt he gets in return and how he must work through it all. The movie shows how all of the circus members are recruited and essentially saved from the life they had to live as outcasts. This movie does a great job showing the positive aspects of how the Barnum circus came to be; however, the real-life story of the Barnum circus was not nearly as happy as portrayed in the movie. 

Another one of the great things about the movie is how it follows the storyline of each of the individual characters in the movie. The movie shows Phillip Carlyle’s journey in transitioning from being one of the wealthy, snobby higher-class folk to the junior ring leader in the circus. It shows the enormous sacrifice he made and how he traded everything he had to do something that made him truly happy. 

Another one of the main characters, Anne Wheeler’s journey is a difficult one as well. Being an African American in that time period was bad enough, let alone being in the circus and considered one of the “freaks”. Lettie the “bearded lady” is also a great character who has a great journey in discovering who she really is and how to be proud of who she is and not try to hide herself anymore. 

The Greatest Showman is a great movie to watch if you want a family friendly movie that can make your whole family laugh and cry. The movie has an overwhelming theme of love, happiness, and not being afraid to show your true self. This movie can help inspire the young children of our society and help them to be proud of who they are and not to be ashamed of themselves. 

• ‘Greatest Showman’ Inspires Audiences

Juuling: A Complete Overview

• ‘Greatest Showman’ Inspires Audiences

Snow Days Pile Up

• ‘Greatest Showman’ Inspires Audiences

The Death of the NCAA

• ‘Greatest Showman’ Inspires Audiences

Warning: AP Season Approaching!

• ‘Greatest Showman’ Inspires Audiences

Elza Wins Champions of Courage Contest

• ‘Greatest Showman’ Inspires Audiences

Is Peer Pressure Really a Thing?

• ‘Greatest Showman’ Inspires Audiences

Just Decide to be Happy

• ‘Greatest Showman’ Inspires Audiences

Concussion Protocol’s Impact on Players

• ‘Greatest Showman’ Inspires Audiences

Do Interims Really Matter Anymore?

• ‘Greatest Showman’ Inspires Audiences

How to Keep Your New Year’s Resolutions

‘Greatest Showman’ Inspires Audiences