‘Greatest Showman’ Inspires Audiences

‘Greatest Showman’ Inspires Audiences

Melissa Tolton, Staff

The Greatest Showman is a new movie that came out on Christmas Day. Directed by Michael Gracey, the film portrays the story of P.T. Barnum, played by Hugh Jackman, and the struggles he goes through to start a circus that is totally looked down at during the time period. Alongside Hugh Jackman, Zac Efron plays Philip Carlyle, Barnum’s junior ringleader, and Zendaya plays Anne Wheeler, an African American trapeze artist in the circus. 

One of the best things about this movie is how it develops the plot. It follows the steps P.T. Barnum goes through in order to get the circus started. After being fired from his job Barnum buys a museum, which doesn’t bring much money so he turns it into a circus. The movie follows Barnum’s journey in recruiting people for the circus and attracting a large audience. It shows the criticism and revolt he gets in return and how he must work through it all. The movie shows how all of the circus members are recruited and essentially saved from the life they had to live as outcasts. This movie does a great job showing the positive aspects of how the Barnum circus came to be; however, the real-life story of the Barnum circus was not nearly as happy as portrayed in the movie. 

Another one of the great things about the movie is how it follows the storyline of each of the individual characters in the movie. The movie shows Phillip Carlyle’s journey in transitioning from being one of the wealthy, snobby higher-class folk to the junior ring leader in the circus. It shows the enormous sacrifice he made and how he traded everything he had to do something that made him truly happy. 

Another one of the main characters, Anne Wheeler’s journey is a difficult one as well. Being an African American in that time period was bad enough, let alone being in the circus and considered one of the “freaks”. Lettie the “bearded lady” is also a great character who has a great journey in discovering who she really is and how to be proud of who she is and not try to hide herself anymore. 

The Greatest Showman is a great movie to watch if you want a family friendly movie that can make your whole family laugh and cry. The movie has an overwhelming theme of love, happiness, and not being afraid to show your true self. This movie can help inspire the young children of our society and help them to be proud of who they are and not to be ashamed of themselves. 

Melissa Tolton, Staff

My name is Melissa Tolton and I am a sophomore at CHS. I play varsity field hockey for the comets. This is my first year writing for the school newspaper.

• ‘Greatest Showman’ Inspires Audiences

Valentine’s Day Clichés: No Way or OK?

• ‘Greatest Showman’ Inspires Audiences

Stay Immune to Senioritis

• ‘Greatest Showman’ Inspires Audiences

Spider Man Moves into ‘Spider Verse’

• ‘Greatest Showman’ Inspires Audiences

Have Fun in the Dead of Winter

• ‘Greatest Showman’ Inspires Audiences

Forgotten History: The Integration of CHS

• ‘Greatest Showman’ Inspires Audiences

Let’s Talk About Periods (For Once)

• ‘Greatest Showman’ Inspires Audiences

Red Dead Redemption 2: A Sequel Worth Waiting For

• ‘Greatest Showman’ Inspires Audiences

Day In the Life of T.O

• ‘Greatest Showman’ Inspires Audiences

Cell Phones Distract, Teachers Say

• ‘Greatest Showman’ Inspires Audiences

Winter Wonder Week: A Second Spirit Week!

‘Greatest Showman’ Inspires Audiences