Attendance and Grades

Nate Henry, Staff

At pretty much every school a student gets penalized for a lack of showing up to class. Sometimes they’re sick, or sometimes they’re just skipping school. Either way, if you don’t have a note excusing your absence, you’re in trouble, 

Yet in most cases, you would be able to do classwork at home, online. 

If a student can keep up on his or her work, should their lack of attendance have an effect on their grade? 

“Good grades are all that matters,” Sophmore Caleb Snyder said. “As long as you can keep good grades and show up to class, sometimes a student shouldn’t get in trouble.” 

Junior Gerry Washington believes that the school doesn’t always understand what’s going on in a student’s home life. Therefore, a student shouldn’t be in trouble for not coming to school. As long as a student can continue to do his work and keep up a good grade, there shouldn’t be consequences. 

The BCPS policy states “Students shall be expected to attend school and all classes regularly and punctually.” The standards for attendance are that a student has to attend 94% of the school year, the state standard. Students absent for unlawful reasons are not entitled to make-up work. Students cannot miss over 10% of the school days in a quarter.  

Yet, what if there were no regulations. As long as the student can maintain a certain grade or demonstrate they have met learning standards, should there be a punishment? 

Having the state laws the way they are, it would be impossible to have the school policy changed. 

“It is extremely rare for a student to be successful if they do not fully observe the information they are learning day-to-day,” guidance counselor Todd Pinson explained. It is best for students in high school to prepare for the ‘next step’ in life by attending classes every day, growing habits for college and future jobs.  

If students aren’t waking up every morning going to school they wouldn’t be prepared for the future. While in college you need to go to your classes nobody’s keeping track telling you to keep your grades up. 

Not all students have this mindset. 

“Students shouldn’t be held accountable for attendance as long as their GPA is high enough,” Junior Eddie Stromberg pointed out. 

Yet, Sophmore Brian Dickey said that you should be penalized. Without being in a classroom type environment you won’t be able to learn the same way most student do.   

Most teachers support the attendance policy. 

Math teacher Rebecca Mello says how not being in class engaged in the classwork has a negative impact on how a student and their grade. A student’s attendance affects their grade depending on how often they are there. She also points out that school isn’t just about work completion, it’s about learning. 

• Attendance and Grades

How to Keep Your New Year’s Resolutions

• Attendance and Grades

Ugly Sweaters of 2017

• Attendance and Grades

Expectations for the Last Jedi

• Attendance and Grades

Crazy Candy Cane Flavors Take Over Christmas

• Attendance and Grades

Preview & Predictions for Star Wars Episode 8: The Last Jedi

• Attendance and Grades

Alum Visit for 3rd Annual Career Day

• Attendance and Grades

The Journey with Braces

• Attendance and Grades

Best Places to Eat on Frederick Road

• Attendance and Grades

How to Do Tgiving Vegan-Style

• Attendance and Grades

Spirit Week 2017 Recap

Attendance and Grades