A PSA About Respect

Ellie Dugan, Staff

Everyone is entitled to it, and yet many are denied the simple human decency of having it shown to them. Everyone is worthy of it, but only a select few are designated by their peers and by their own friends to qualify for the reception of it. 

The ability to show respect is a quality uniquely human. Yet the ability to show respect is a quality too-commonly ignored.   

The issues that a lack of respect and social decency provoke result in peoples’ deteriorated senses of self-worth, an uncomfortable and hostile social environment, and sometimes an inability between two or more people to coexist peacefully. 

This is undeniably a prominent issue in today’s society. The ignition of social uprisings condemning and disrespecting others who are of different races, religions, and political parties have caused what looks like an irreparable division within America.   

No one party is without guilt. 

It is important that we maintain an atmosphere of civility and courtesy during these rough times; it may be our saving grace.  If we learn to embrace differences and refrain from denouncing others based on their sexual preferences, religions, races, and political party affiliations, we may be able to rectify the “great melting pot” ideal that has abandoned the minds and hearts of United States citizens. 

This issue is one that concerns every American citizen. It is as large as is the entire country, and as small as one person. Everyone can make a difference, including students at Catonsville High.  

All it takes is one person. If you see someone being harassed, make a statement and stand up for what you believe to be right, just, and moral. 

As a teenager growing up in the predominantly-liberal state of Maryland, the concepts of acceptance and “love for your neighbor,” are extremely valuable and have been continuously imposed upon me and others of my generation.  However, as I’ve grown up, I’ve realized that these glorified concepts are exceptionally blown out pf proportion.  Used mainly for political propaganda, the values of love, acceptance, and the appreciation of others’ differences have become insignificant.  These values have diminished while being worn by the hypocritical face of politics. 

I want to be part of the generation that fixes this. I want to reestablish the ideas of respect and love that have been nothing but a politician’s tool for far too long. 

Let this be a lesson to United States’ citizens.  Don’t be susceptible to the tricks and ruses of politicians. Treat your peers with decency, show respect to adults, and make sure that you maintain a sense of dignity and an ability to mediate problems. 

It is important to the future of your school, your community, your country, and your world. 

Ellie Dugan, Staff

Hi, my name's Ellie, and I'm a sophomore at CHS.  I like sports, food, music, and writing stories with (some) substance.

• A PSA About Respect

• A PSA About Respect

• A PSA About Respect

• A PSA About Respect

• A PSA About Respect

• A PSA About Respect

• A PSA About Respect

• A PSA About Respect

• A PSA About Respect

• A PSA About Respect

A PSA About Respect