Bad Moms Make Xmas Laughs

Katie thor Straten, Staff

Christmas movies are known for being family-oriented and something for kids to watch while parents frantically finish wrapping presents before December 25th. This November, a new Christmas movie was released in the Bad Moms franchise, and it may not fit in with this category.

This comedy brings back actresses such as Mila Kunis, Kristin Bell, and Kathryn Hahn to play Amy, Kiki, and Carla. Amy, the lead character, is a kind mother who is balancing her new family with pleasing her strict mother. Her friends, Kiki and Carla, are also dealing with their overbearing mothers who decided to stay for Christmas.

The movie starts out with Kunis sitting, in a trashed house, thinking about all of the mistakes she made during the holiday season. It flashes back a week and shows how overwhelmed the moms are. They are preparing for Christmas and trying to get everything done perfectly, but their mothers come, disrupting the daughters’ flow. After, the daughters reach their limit and are the brink of a break down, their moms arrive.

The main focus of this movie is family dynamics. In order for this to be done in a believable and funny way, there has to be good chemistry between the actors. All of the characters, with their respective mothers, have it and that makes the movie hilarious. During a scene between Bell and her mother, her mom reveals that she would be moving to a house near Bell’s, which turned out to be a lot closer than expected. When Bell breaks the news that she’s not okay with it, it turns into her yelling comical revelations.

The camera worked in the movie’s favor to make the audience laugh. There are many overdramatic zooms and slow-motion clips that take you by surprise. The rest of the movie was shot in a clear way, so it was funny when it switched to cheesy. Another moment was when Hahn met her love interest, played by Justin Hartley, and it turned into a cheesy romance movie. The aspect of how lovey-dovey and overly romantic it was made the audience laugh, considering Huhn was waxing Hartley, her salon client.

As funny as those moments were, there were multiple jokes that seemed awkward. The overwhelming amount of dirty jokes started to get stale by the end. At the start, the jokes crossed some lines, but it was to set the atmosphere of the humor; however, at the end, it became too vulgar.

Overall, this movie was very enjoyable to watch, and it is something to go out and do with your friends this holiday season. There are some jokes that fall flat, but the belly laughs you get from the cheesy scenes and ironic camera work overrule it.

• Bad Moms Make Xmas Laughs

Expectations for the Last Jedi

• Bad Moms Make Xmas Laughs

Crazy Candy Cane Flavors Take Over Christmas

• Bad Moms Make Xmas Laughs

Preview & Predictions for Star Wars Episode 8: The Last Jedi

• Bad Moms Make Xmas Laughs

Alum Visit for 3rd Annual Career Day

• Bad Moms Make Xmas Laughs

The Journey with Braces

• Bad Moms Make Xmas Laughs

Best Places to Eat on Frederick Road

• Bad Moms Make Xmas Laughs

How to Do Tgiving Vegan-Style

• Bad Moms Make Xmas Laughs

Spirit Week 2017 Recap

• Bad Moms Make Xmas Laughs

Comets Fall to Kenwood in Homecoming Match-Up

• Bad Moms Make Xmas Laughs

Mixed Farmhouse Greens Review

Bad Moms Make Xmas Laughs