The Return of Avatar and Pandora

Evan Pappas, Writer

The movie Avatar is a tale following Jake Sully, a crippled man, on his adventures throughout a foreign planet, Pandora. The humans encounter another species on the Pandora, and they find a way to put their conscious mind into a host that looks like the foreign species, or the Na’vi.  

This allows the humans to try to win over the Na’vi and have them trust them, while only really wanting their resources. When Jake begins to learn the culture of the Na’vi and the corruption of his own people, he goes on a journey of confliction about trust, patriotism, and love. This action-packed film is set in a fantasy world, with lots of foreign plants and animals. It explores many fantasy aspects of the Na’vi culture.  

The movie is geared towards younger audiences that love imagination, and thrill junkies. There are many scenes with flight and adventure action such as the jaw dropping scene of Jake first riding the Great Leonopteryx. Some people may not enjoy this film due to their inclination towards comedy or more lighthearted movies. Younger children may find more intense scenes scary, and there is occasional cursing. The end scene where Jake takes on his own species is an intense war scene with lots of death and destruction may be too much for the younger audiences, but just the right thing for older people looking to be wowed.  

The special effects in Avatar may be enough motivation to see the movie alone. They take an immense amount of time, a heavy workload to create, and it shows in the movie. Pandora is a very impressive planet with its botanicals and wildlife. The plants are very intricate and impressive. You and your family will be put in awe after viewing this movie. 

This film has an impressive cast with stars like Sam Worthington, Stephen Lang, and Sigourney Weaver. James Cameron did an excellent job of developing the characters in his movie, he and convinces the audience to become attached. By exposing the Na’vi’s inner culture and love for one another, he creates a bond with the audience and Na’vi people that makes the movie a work of art. 

The movie was made in 2009, but it is still raved about today. Disney World just made a new exhibit featuring the movie * in which you can fly on the back of a banshee, or go on a journey through the Na’vi river.”  

Two more sequels are in the works and already filmed. James Cameron also has not forgotten about the Avatar series, and is working on completing the trilogy. Watching the movie now, or watching it again to refresh your memory may be a good idea considering the new movies and exhibit.  

The older movie is getting a serious re-vamp this year, and may be the new most popular movie in a few months. It may be a good idea to refresh yourself on the movie so you can talk about it at the lunch table or outside with your friends, to not be that odd person out. 

The early 2000’s movie is coming back this year, and you don’t want to be the one to miss them. 

• The Return of Avatar and Pandora

Tgiving Dinner: Home vs. Going Out

• The Return of Avatar and Pandora

Spirit Week 2017 Recap

• The Return of Avatar and Pandora

Comets Fall to Kenwood in Homecoming Match-Up

• The Return of Avatar and Pandora

Mixed Farmhouse Greens Review

• The Return of Avatar and Pandora

Top 10 Costume Ideas for Hijabis

• The Return of Avatar and Pandora

Spirit Week Traditions, Rules an Annual Concern

• The Return of Avatar and Pandora

High Schoolers and Their Lack of Sleep

• The Return of Avatar and Pandora

New CHS Fall Play: ‘The Diary of Anne Frank’

• The Return of Avatar and Pandora

Go Home Freshmen: Tradition or Torment?

• The Return of Avatar and Pandora

Top Ten Halloween Costumes for 2017

The Return of Avatar and Pandora