AP Stress: Impossible or Manageable?

Vicki Zhang, Staff

In high school, Advanced Placement classes start, and students take them to prepare for college.  Many juniors and seniors have to juggle with 4 to 5 of these AP classes, which could be difficult for them to balance their school work and their daily life.   

Many juniors and seniors are taking multiple AP classes and are handling classes very well without getting stressed, while others are having trouble handling the pressure.  

Junior Vicah Blair is one of the many students that are handling the classes with ease and she explains how she is able to do it.  

“I’m taking 4 APs and for the most part, it is not stressful for me. It can get stressful, but with good studying habits, it is very doable,” she explained. 

Senior Nandini Vaishnav thinks she has the answer for the stressed.  

“I’m taking 4 AP classes and it can be stressful at times, but one needs to be organized to be successful,” she explained. 

Others on the other side are stressed on the busy and hard school schedule due to the pressure to do well.  

“I’m currently taking 3 AP classes and it’s very stressful. I think it’s stressful because I know if I don’t pass, then I might have to take it again,” senior Clare Smith described.  

Teachers also believe that AP classes are hard and stressful for their students.  

“Yes! AP classes are difficult, and therefore, stressful. However, I truly believe AP courses are manageable, as long as students don’t take more than three,” Calculus teacher Maryanne Llorin explained.  

There are many methods to cope with the stress of AP classes. According to The Atlantic, some good stress coping methods are to get enough sleep, play recreational sports for fun, and have nice planning skills.  

Wikihow also gives nice skills to be successful in AP classes. Before the school year, students should consider buying the prep book for their AP classes and be mentally prepared for class. During the school year, students should use their weekends efficiently and form a study group for more practice. Lastly, when students are preparing to take the AP exam, they should sleep well and get a good breakfast in the morning.  

Students should develop good time-management and studying skills to deal with stress. Staying calm is also important.  

“If someone panics, then the class could feel overwhelming. It is best to keep a cool mind in these matters,” Vaishnav explained 

• AP Stress: Impossible or Manageable?

Tgiving Dinner: Home vs. Going Out

• AP Stress: Impossible or Manageable?

Spirit Week 2017 Recap

• AP Stress: Impossible or Manageable?

Comets Fall to Kenwood in Homecoming Match-Up

• AP Stress: Impossible or Manageable?

Mixed Farmhouse Greens Review

• AP Stress: Impossible or Manageable?

Top 10 Costume Ideas for Hijabis

• AP Stress: Impossible or Manageable?

Spirit Week Traditions, Rules an Annual Concern

• AP Stress: Impossible or Manageable?

High Schoolers and Their Lack of Sleep

• AP Stress: Impossible or Manageable?

New CHS Fall Play: ‘The Diary of Anne Frank’

• AP Stress: Impossible or Manageable?

Go Home Freshmen: Tradition or Torment?

• AP Stress: Impossible or Manageable?

Top Ten Halloween Costumes for 2017

AP Stress: Impossible or Manageable?