Technology Makes Us More Alone

Rose Benny, Staff

It’s 2017, and it’s nearly impossible to do anything without the use of technology. You can talk to people who are miles away, you can pay bills and manage bank accounts. But is the use of technology decreasing person to person interaction with each other?

An article in New York Times written by the founder of an online dating site www.datemyschool.com summed up the problem of his generation by saying that, “People in the 21st century are alone. We have so many new ways of communicating, yet we are so alone.”

Instead of meeting someone in person and hanging out with them more, people tend to text or use smartphones to talk to people.

Technology makes you more alone because we are always depending on our phones and other technology; when you start to get too attached to your technology, you start to compare your life with the lives of others, and you just yourself with the amount likes and followers someone else has.

And being lonely is a big deal. Research revealed that being lonely is even more dangerous to your health than being overweight. Loneliness can increase your risk of dying by 26%.

According to The Independent,  “Recent research indicates that this may be the next biggest public health issue on par with obesity and substance abuse.”

Technology is great if you use it correctly with a certain limit, if you don’t it’s going to tear your life apart if you become too attached to it. We are more focused on talking to someone thousands of miles away rather than someone who is right next to you.

When you use technology constantly it makes it harder for you to interact with people in real life. The more time you spent on your phones and tv the harder it will be for you to interact and talk to people. Research has shown that people who have lots of friends tend to be happier, healthier and they live longer than the ones who don’t have many or any friends in real life.

Many people build relationships online and for a while they won’t feel lonely but over time you will feel frustrated because you can’t interact with the other person face to face.

You scroll through your Instagram in silence when you’re in the car with your family. You text your friend instead of meeting them in person. It’s easier for you  to make friends virtually than in real life. This shows how attached we are to technology.

Being too focused on a screen makes you forget the difference between being alone and being lonely. Technology negatively influences our  social interaction, it makes people more socially awkward and lonely.

In fact a study by greater good suggests that ”smartphone use may be taking a toll on our biological capacity to connect with other people.”

Technology is affecting our society in a negative way, but that doesn’t mean that we are going to stop using technology, it has come to stay. But it is up to you to decide how much we let technology dominate our lives. At the end its always our decision if you want to see the world through a screen or your own eyes.

• Technology Makes Us More Alone

• Technology Makes Us More Alone

• Technology Makes Us More Alone

• Technology Makes Us More Alone

• Technology Makes Us More Alone

• Technology Makes Us More Alone

• Technology Makes Us More Alone

• Technology Makes Us More Alone

• Technology Makes Us More Alone

• Technology Makes Us More Alone

Technology Makes Us More Alone