BOO! A Madea Halloween Review

Tatyana Jeter, Staff

BOO! A Madea Halloween was released to theaters for Halloween and is the newest addition to the Madea series. If you have never seen a Tyler Perry movie with Madea in it, don’t make this your first one.  Start at the beginning and go from there.

In this movie, Brian, played by Tyler Perry, is a single dad with a 17-year old daughter named Tiffany, played by Diamond White.  Tiffany runs her daddy like a rented mule and shows him zero respect.  He is called out of town on Halloween and is afraid she is going to attend a frat party down the street.

Brian enlists his aunt Madea, also played by Tyler Perry, to come spend the night and keep an eye on Tiffany.  She is accompanied by her brother Joe, also played by Perry, her pot-smoking cousin Bam, played by Cassie Davis, and Hattie, played by Patrice Lovely.  Madea and her crew are disgusted by the way Tiffany refuses to listen to Brian and the fact that he allows it.  Their solution is an old school butt-whooping or packing her bags if she doesn’t want to abide by the rules. Brian’s response to his dad Joe is “like when you pushed me off the roof of the house for talking back?”  Joe’s comeback is “You still alive ain’t you?”

As you would suspect, Tiffany goes to the party and Madea and the crew go in to drag her out.  There are a lot of hit and miss jokes concerning dancing, getting high, and Madea flashing the young college guys.  When the party gets shut down, the fraternity seeks revenge by scaring Madea’s bunch using tricks, zombies, and, ironically, considering current news, clowns.

As in all of Tyler Perry’s movies there is a moral message at the end; respect parents and those who are older than you. Not only did the conflict within the Barker household get resolved, but it also replenished the love and caring bond between a father and daughter.

Critics talk about low production values, the thin storylines, the unimaginative camera work, the less than stellar acting, and many other things.  If Tyler Perry had listened to the critics at 22 when he did his first play he probably wouldn’t be the richest black actor in the world, worth $400 million.  Not bad for a high school drop out with a GED.

But It doesn’t seem as fresh when Madea is the main character.  But remember, it’s number one at the box office, there is not an empty seat in the theater, and one man is the writer, director, and three characters (and I’m pretty sure picking up the donuts and making the coffee).

If you are a fan you will not miss it.  If you are not a fan, you never understood it in the first place.

• BOO! A Madea Halloween Review

• BOO! A Madea Halloween Review

• BOO! A Madea Halloween Review

• BOO! A Madea Halloween Review

• BOO! A Madea Halloween Review

• BOO! A Madea Halloween Review

• BOO! A Madea Halloween Review

• BOO! A Madea Halloween Review

• BOO! A Madea Halloween Review

• BOO! A Madea Halloween Review

BOO! A Madea Halloween Review