CHS Lead Testing Results Show No Danger

Eden Beyene, Staff

CHS drinking water was tested for lead on March 9th; none of the 41 water samples taken had lead levels above the maximum level of 20 parts per billion.  

“Of the 41 samples collected, 37 were below the detection limit of 2 ppb. The remaining 4 were between 2.40 and 4.42,” David Glassman, the BCPS Supervisor of Environmental Services, explained. 

Specifically, 4 samples ranged from 2.4 to 4.42 parts per billion (ppb) and the other 37 tested below 2 ppb.  

BCPS follows the state requirement for the maximum amount of lead allowed in drinking water. Water samples from sources not intended for consumption were not tested, which is why bathroom and other sinks have signs to prohibit drinking. 

“Without being required, BCPS has been testing drinking fountains for lead since 2016. When the new state regulations took place, we started testing every school. That process will be completed by the end of this school year,” Brandon Oland, BCPS Communications Specialist, explained. 

Although CHS is safe, not every school in the county is lead-free. 

Several schools have had fixtures that tested above the 20 parts per billion threshold. We post the results school-by-school as soon as we have them, and the fixtures are promptly replaced,” Brandon Oland, BCPS Communications Specialist, explained. 

Still, most schools are up to Maryland’s standard. 

“Based on results received at this time, about 95% of fixtures sampled at BCPS schools are below the state mandated action level,” Mr. Glassman said. 

The obvious reason for our safe lead levels is the periodic tests regulated by the state. Before this, however, BCPS has been regularly checking the state of school buildings. 

“There are… Tools for Schools checks that happened annually. So they go through and they check like infrastructure of buildings… They mostly check for if there’s any kinds of infestations… they check if the facilities are up to a certain standard,” principal Matt Ames said. 

Mr. Ames believes students shouldn’t have concerns about lead or any other potential health issues from the school building. 

“I was a teacher here in ‘97, and they were doing some asbestos abatement,” Mr. Ames explained. “Those materials that they were building the schools within the fifties when this was built… that were unsafe, they were getting rid of that back in the late nineties,” Mr. Ames explained.