DeSimone One of Five BCPS Teacher of the Year Finalists 

Eden Beyene, Staff

Each year, every BCPS school nominates one teacher for the BCPS Teacher of the Year Award. Out of the 174 schools in the county, five teachers are chosen. It is a tremendous achievement for CHS Child Development teacher, Chrissy DeSimone, to be a finalist. 

Ms. DeSimone teaches both Child Development classes.  

“I teach Child Development 1, which is the introductory course,” Ms. DeSimone said,and then I teach Child Development 2 Honors, and that’s the second level course. Students in that course take a little bit more leadership in the program.” 

During Child Development 2, students have a bigger role in teaching and maintaining the preschool at CHS. 

“They plan all of the different bulletin boards; they do a big project where they look at layouts of preschools and like layouts of traffic and purposeful movement in preschool and then they pick the layout of the preschool every year; they do all of the parent interactions. At the end of each week, we send home pictures and a newsletter. They control all of that.” 

In addition, students conduct a research project on a topic about child development; this could include taking surveys to gather data, researching controversial issues, or other ideas the students have. They then present their findings in a paper. 

“That independent research project is such a great opportunity for kids that already know a little bit about child development to explore their own passions in the field,” Ms. DeSimone explained. 

This growth of students is very rewarding to her.  

“The thing that I like most about my job is watching high schoolers, who go from being just regular students going through their day to watching that moment where they’re successful in the preschool, and the preschoolers are looking to them and they’re really interacting with our students,” Ms. Desimone said. “That is so cool.” 

Having such impacts on students is so rewarding; it’s part of why she became a teacher.  

“As a teacher, you can be the difference and make that impact and be the person that is like making somebody care,” Ms. DeSimone explained. “You can make a subject matter seem cool. You can make a[n] activity seem interesting and get somebody excited to learn. It’s really easy to get up every morning because when you like what you do and you feel like you’re contributing to the world around you, it’s [easier] to find that passion.”