School Before Labor Day Back?

Adam Carroll, Staff

It’s been two years since Governor Larry Hogan’s executive order which required that schools start on the Tuesday after Labor Day and end by June 15th. 

According to the Frederick Times, two bills on the subject have been introduced. One bill would provide the individual counties with the power to determine when the year would start, while the second would allow the year to be extended beyond June 15th for any reason for up to five days. 

The legislation ended up passing with more than enough votes to override any veto made by Governor Hogan. 

Sophomore Hailee McDaniel is adamantly against reversing the shortened school year. 

“I think kid should go back to school after Labor Day because it extends summer break, and kids can enjoy it more,” said McDaniel. “It also gives parents another week for vacation to relax in the summer.” 

Freshman Grant Harding isn’t very supportive of the move either. 

“I feel like the change of everything really makes students annoyed,” said Harding. 

There are many people who agree with this. Shortening the school year has been one of the most popular things done by Governor Hogan, and he is confident that voters will petition to have a final say on this in 2020. 

However, one of the potential benefits of this bill would be the possibility of the return of the week-long Spring Break, which was reduced to a four-day weekend after the school year was shortened. Although Spring Break is back on the BCPS calendar for next year, schools could be extended past June 15 if there would be many snow closings. 

Sophomore Lili Hassaneen would like to see that happen. 

“Spring break is something people look forward to,” said Hassaneen. “Spring Break should be a thing that stays just like summer break.” 

Junior Fletcher Oakes agrees. 

“I would want it back because that’s more time to have fun and do crazy stuff with your friends,” said Oakes. 

English teacher Rachel Wilkinson emphasizes that having breaks are needed to keep the students in prime condition for learning. 

“All the research supports the fact that students and teachers need breaks in order to be fresh and open to growth,” said Ms Wilkinson. “Muscles that are overused become weak and stop growing; the same is true for the brain.” 

• School Before Labor Day Back?

What is the Child Development Class?

• School Before Labor Day Back?

CHS Prepares for ‘Test of All Tests’

• School Before Labor Day Back?

• School Before Labor Day Back?

• School Before Labor Day Back?

• School Before Labor Day Back?

• School Before Labor Day Back?

• School Before Labor Day Back?

• School Before Labor Day Back?

• School Before Labor Day Back?

School Before Labor Day Back?