BCPS and The New Schedule

BCPS and The New Schedule

Beth Wolde, Staff

The Board of Education approved the BCPS schedule for the 2019-2020 school year calendar at their March 5 meeting. This approval means that students will be now starting school on September 3, 2019 and will be ending between June 15 and June 22, 2020, shortening summer.

Due to all the snow days, taking days from summer to use as make up days has become a huge controversy.

“Other schools around the state have longer breaks and still get the education that we get. The amount of time in school clearly doesn’t affect how smart we are, and we need time so we can see our families that may not be in the best health state. Having less opportunities to do that is not cool, bro,” said sophomore Max Powell.

Many people have begun to question the decision to cut into summer vacation because of the impacts it has on people’s plans and other summer activities.

“Summer should have a set amount of days, and it should be kept to that especially with vacation planning and other things of the sort. Also, summer is the time to let the children recuperate and taking that time away from them because of something they can’t control is unfair,” said senior Justice Jackson.

In the past two years, Spring Breaks had been confined to four days. Many students will be happy to know that Spring Break was extended for a whole week. In the year 2020, it will be from April 6 to April 10.

“I think it is fair that Spring Break has been cut in the past,” said sophomore Caroline Bryant. “In my opinion, I’d rather have a longer summer and a short Spring Break instead of vice versa.”

The calendar indicates that if there are three closings before June 15 (the proposed last day of school), then school will end on June 15, but if there are four or more closings before the school year will extend to June 22.

Despite the days lost because of snow, many students don’t see it as necessary to have makeup days for school.

“The capabilities to experience new outside of school experiences are cut off by having a shorter summer. There are some experiences that students cannot possibly learn at school which are more valuable than learning in the classroom,” said sophomore Hazel Montgomery-Walsh.