Government Shutdown Affects Cville

Government Shutdown Affects Cville

Right before the holidays and for 35 days after, the federal government shut down. Catonsville was very affected by the government shut down because of the mass amount of government jobs in this area. Many government jobs in relation to Baltimore City, such as contractors or other government agency occupations.  

Several jobs were affected by the government shutdown. Some of these jobs include: airport security, Homeland Security, Coast Guard, several agencies including N.A.S.A. and the Environmental Protection Agency, food inspections and aid, Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Veterans Affairs, the F.B.I., the Drug Enforcement Administration, the Bureau of Prisons, Customs and Border Protection, the Secret Service, and many more.  

“A lot of federal offices and administrations were closed, so my family was unable to do a lot of routine things,” added senior Caitlin McCormick. 

As a result of the shutdown, many adults were left without pay and were unable to support themselves and/or their families.  

“My dad is a government contractor and works for the ATF, and while all this was happening he and all his colleagues still had to commute to DC every day and work… but without getting paid,” explained sophomore Josie Heffern. “As my dad and uncle both work in the government, it definitely affected my family, but we stay together and work through the tough issues. My uncle and father have opposing political views, but this causes them to sit back and reflect, as they were in the same place, but with two different jobs working. There was an underlying, understanding of the situation.” 

At first, many didn’t think much of the shutdown, until it began to be longer than anyone anticipated. In an Instagram survey, 14% students said they had been affected. 

“My dad does work for the government, so he was affected. He wasn’t deemed essential, so he didn’t have to work during the shutdown, but he wasn’t getting his paycheck,” sophomore Chloe Fitch shared. “My parents told my brother and I that we had to stop going out to dinner and stuff to conserve money. My brother and I were also told that we might not be able to go on vacation this summer since my dad wasn’t getting paid. I was also very stressed out during the shutdown, and I was so anxious about money that it was kind of hard to focus on school work.” 

Although the shutdown was ended, issues related to it, mainly funding for a border wall, have not been resolved, and workers still are at risk of facing another in the future.  

As a result of the government shut down there were many unexpected effects. This includes delayed tax returns and staffing shortages with air traffic controllers, such as the workers at BWI airport, because of the financial hardship which led to some federal airport workers calling out of work. Along with many federal workers in Maryland having to stay home without pay or be forced to work without getting paid. 

“My step mom was out of work as she works for the USDA. It made money tighter as only one parent was working,” said sophomore Ravi Hafiz. 

Not only students were affected at CHS, some teachers were affected as well.  

“Because my husband works for the government, he didn’t get paychecks for the entire month of January,” explained English teacher Kasey Drummond. 

Many people have also begun to wonder about the possible effects on schools with the government shutdown. Shorter government shutdowns wouldn’t usually have any effect on schools K-12. Though a longer shut down could have greater effects on school lunches and programs that help children who can’t always afford a school lunch, along with delays in district school funding to BCPS and other school local school systems, too. 

Savanna Loverde, Staff

Hi, I'm Savanna, and I'm a sophomore here at CHS. This is my first year on the comet staff. I love to write, and I'm excited to be writing for The Comet...

Beth Wolde, Staff

Hi I’m Beth, a sophomore at Catonsville High School. I like art, and this is my first year taking journalism.

Ashley Metzbower, Staff

Hi, I'm Ashley Metzbower, and I'm a sophomore here at Catonsville. I enjoy writing and I'm excited to be able to do so in the school newspaper!

• Government Shutdown Affects Cville

What is the Child Development Class?

• Government Shutdown Affects Cville

CHS Prepares for ‘Test of All Tests’

• Government Shutdown Affects Cville

• Government Shutdown Affects Cville

• Government Shutdown Affects Cville

• Government Shutdown Affects Cville

• Government Shutdown Affects Cville

• Government Shutdown Affects Cville

• Government Shutdown Affects Cville

• Government Shutdown Affects Cville

Government Shutdown Affects Cville