The Importance of Pi(e) Day

Vicki Zhang, Staff

3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841971693993751… The legendary Pi Day is inching towards us soon on March 14, but why is it so important and what do people do on this day? 

Pi is very crucial in the concept of math. It can be found in formulas including the circumference and area of a circle: 2πr and πr^2. Pi was discovered about 4000 years ago, but people are still approximating its actual value today.  

Every year, the Math Honor Society at CHS celebrates this day by bringing pie to share and enjoy with members. It is a special tradition that is admired by many people.   

I sponsor the Math Honor Society with Mr. Savage.  This year we are recruiting 20 members to bring in various homemade pies, which we devour during our annual Pi Day meeting,” math teacher Mary Ann Llorin asserted. 

Many students are looking forward to this day because it is a big day for math concepts.  

“My feelings on Pi Day are that I feel excited since we are celebrating pi and math on this day. It is a meaningful day because we are commemorating irrational numbers,” freshman Jeff Chen stated.  

Other students like Pi Day because they can savor the flavor of freshly baked pies. 

“I like Pi Day because I get to eat pie,” senior Daniel Li described.  

On the other hand, some students feel that Pi Day is just another standard day. 

“I’m not feeling anything in particular. If pi is important, all other math should be important,” senior Ngun Par said. 

Teachers believe Pi Day is also a day to realize the fun in the study of mathematics. 

Math is fun, challenging, and wonderous. Like many ideas in mathematics, the number pi has always been there, we just discovered some of its mysteries.  Then we realized its use in applications and now challenge computers to determine the “next” digit of pi.  Having pie is a playful way to celebrate Pi Day and reminds us that math is enjoyable.  So, I think Pi Day celebrates so much more than just the number itself,” Ms. Llorin explained. 

Besides Pi day, there are also other important days in the history of math. In fact, the Math Honor Society plan to celebrate 12/16/20 next year since it’s a Pythagorean Triple: a^2+b^2=c^2.  

“Consider that many calendar dates are “math days,” such as a March 16 of this year (3/16/19) and April 15th of this year (4/15/19), etc,” Ms. Llorin added.