Keeping Out Colds and Viruses

Keeping Out Colds and Viruses

Eden Beyene, Staff Writer

In early fall, the University of Maryland, College Park discovered a strain of the adenovirus. This virus gave victims symptoms of the common cold, along with more serious complications such as pink eye, bronchitis, pneumonia, and inflammation throughout the body.  

The first case of adenovirus was found in UMCP freshmen Olivia Paregol who died of the disease; she had Crohn’s Disease, which left her immune system vulnerable.  

Adenovirus spreads through air or by contact with contaminated objects or people.  

Anytime you have students living in close quarters, obviously disease… can spread,” English teacher Adriane Stewart said. “You can combine that maybe with students living away from home for the first time… Things become more complicated I think in taking care of yourself.” 

Dr. Stewart’s daughter, Ella Johnson, lives in the same dorm that Paregol lived in.  

“We were asked if your kid is sick… [if] you can bring your kid home. I did; I brought her home for the long weekend,” Dr. Stewart said. 

Although found in UMCP, adenovirus can spread through many media; because it is not exclusive to universities, CHS and other high schools take precautions against this and other infections. 

Many of these can have serious effects. 

“I got pneumonia this year… [I] have no idea where that came from, but it could’ve been from the school,” senior Ashleigh Jankowski said. 

Although school nurse Gennie True has not seen may cases of the flu so far, she believes it may hit this March, and at least 24 states have already seen it. 

Prevention steps for adenovirus, the common cold, and the flu are similar. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, avoiding those with adenovirus can help you stay healthy. Also, students who have other health issues such as diabetes or lung complications should take extra precautions. 

“The best way to… not get the flu is get the flu shot,” nurse True explained. 

Stopping the spread of colds can be even more basic than that. 

“Be smart about your hygiene,” senior Amanda Barber said. 

One of the most important cold prevention steps may be the simplest of all. 

“Wash your hands,” Jankowski cautioned. 

Even this step, however, could be complicated in the school environment.  

“We don’t have hot water running in our bathrooms, usually, for washing hands.” said Dr. Stewart. “Not always is there soap adequately in our bathrooms.” 

If you do catch a cold, don’t lose hope; you can take measures to feel better ASAP. WebMD recommends drinking lots of fluids, resting, and trying remedies such as eating honey or gargling salt water. 

“I usually take medicine, and if it’s like to the point where I don’t feel good like at all, … then I just like stay in bed,” explained Barber.  

Staying home doesn’t have to ruin your academics either. 

“I like try to go to school if I can, but… obviously if I can’t, I’ll just stay at home and see if… my friends can bring me my work,” said senior Josh Arndt. 

Ultimately, everyone at CHS should take care of themselves throughout the winter if we want a chance against colds and viruses. 

Eden Beyene, Staff Writer

Hi, I'm Eden! I am a 12th grader in CHS. I enjoy reading and writing which is why I joined journalism. In my free time, I enjoy reading and talking with...

• Keeping Out Colds and Viruses

• Keeping Out Colds and Viruses

• Keeping Out Colds and Viruses

• Keeping Out Colds and Viruses

• Keeping Out Colds and Viruses

• Keeping Out Colds and Viruses

• Keeping Out Colds and Viruses

• Keeping Out Colds and Viruses

• Keeping Out Colds and Viruses

Valentine’s Day Clichés: No Way or OK?

• Keeping Out Colds and Viruses

Stay Immune to Senioritis

Keeping Out Colds and Viruses