Freshmen Transition to CHS

Freshmen Transition to CHS

Vicki Zhang, Staff

Transitioning from middle school to high school is a big change: bigger workload, more expectations, increased responsibility, and so much more. Due to the difference, freshmen have mixed feelings about their first year in high school. Some are excited to be in high school, while others are stressed about it. How are freshmen in CHS doing so far? 

So far, most students believe the transition is not as hard as expected. The amount of work increased, and the course level changed. But, it is not difficult for most freshmen to ease into the new system. 

“The change from middle school to high school surprisingly wasn’t that hard, but the workload is really overwhelming, especially with the teachers that I have and the courses/levels I take,” freshman Krishna Vaishnav explained.  

Other students think the transition is tough and strenuous due to other changes: bigger school, high-schoolers, etc. 

“The transition is rough because there are many things in high school that are different. It’s very overpopulated here, and it’s hard to get to my class from each floor. Also, the amount of homework increased,” freshman Claire Stump stated.   

Even some freshmen teachers can see their students struggling to adjust to high school due to the change in the grading system and other factors.  

“I noticed low interim grades. I think it’s because the workload is a lot harder and they have more homework, but I also think the change in the grading policy plays a role in this. They haven’t quite realized that they can receive zeros on assignments if they don’t complete them,” English teacher Christina Ruzzi described.  

Since the workload increased, the opportunity cost is greater. Students would have to commit more time on their education to have success in high school. 

“There’s less free time in high school because there is more homework compared to middle school,” freshman Lisa Lian declared.   

Despite the massive upgrade, freshmen seem to be liking high school life so far. In high school, the responsibility and work increases, but you also get privileges that you don’t get in middle school. 

“I notice that high school teachers don’t care a lot anymore, like it’s your responsibility to do it, and middle school teachers are just up in your face,” Stump said.  

Freshman Lisa Lian agrees with this statement.  

“High school is good so far, but it’s just stressful,” Lian described. 

According to Association for Middle Level Education, the transition from middle school to high school can cause procedural changes, social changes, and academic changes if you don’t prepare for it. To provide the best experience for freshmen, parents and teachers should construct a high school-like system in middle school to allow them to slip into 9th grade easily.  

“Teaching them methods of organization helps because some of them just don’t know study skills and they don’t know how to keep themselves organized,” Ms. Ruzzi said.  

Freshmen have confidence that high school will shape them to be successful and prepare them for the future. The thing that matters the most is to try your best even when you are struggling.  

“High school has started to make myself a better person not only in school, but also at home. Although I currently don’t have all A’s, I know that I’m putting forth that effort,” Vaishnav explained.  

Vicki Zhang, Staff

Hi I am a junior, and I like to dance. I really like food and chickens.

• Freshmen Transition to CHS

• Freshmen Transition to CHS

• Freshmen Transition to CHS

• Freshmen Transition to CHS

• Freshmen Transition to CHS

• Freshmen Transition to CHS

• Freshmen Transition to CHS

• Freshmen Transition to CHS

• Freshmen Transition to CHS

• Freshmen Transition to CHS

Freshmen Transition to CHS