Multicultural Week Returns to Honor Bev Hickman

Eden Beyene, Staff

If you’ve been waiting for Multicultural Week to come back, the wait is over. This March marks the return of the event.

Multicultural Week was an event during which diversity- awareness activities took place. Throughout the week, students were exposed to the backgrounds of their peers. For example, during the most recent Multicultural Week, students spoke over the announcements about their backgrounds and multiple activities were planned during lunches. One of the most notable was a “lunch mix-up” in which students were told to sit with someone new in the cafeteria. The week ended with an assembly in which students spoke about their experiences, dancers performed, and more.

After its organizers left CHS, Multicultural Week had to come to an unfortunate end. However, after the school’s former assistant principal, Bev Hickman, passed away, the language department decided to bring back the week to commemorate her.

“I think that if she were here, she’d be really proud and excited about it,” said Ms. Molly Kovatch, one of the teachers spearheading the week.

And there is a lot to be excited about. Students will learn a lot about their peers and the world around them. Junior Joshua Noguera believes this spread of diversity is needed, especially in areas where students are not exposed to other backgrounds.

“In different levels of classes I feel, there’s a lot less diversity and cultures. The majority of cultures are actually split between higher and lower classes,” said Noguera.

Junior Ruth Park would agree that diversity must be spread.

“I hope that students learn how much variety and diversity there is, and they can learn that there is a lot of stuff we don’t know yet,” said Park.

The organizers have similar hopes about the outcome of the week.

“Hopefully, people get to know people that they would have turned their head at normally. We just want a more positive environment,” said Ms. Kovatch

This environment is important to a school for many reasons, one being that diverse minds help students tackle problems in different ways.

“Diversity is important to me because I think it helps me look at things from other perspectives,” said Park.

It is also important for students to feel comfortable with their backgrounds; after all, these are what makes every individual unique.

“It gives me a touch of my own flare. No one else has my exact culture, backgrounds, and etc. It gives me a sense of uniqueness in this world,” explained Noguera.

• Multicultural Week Returns to Honor Bev Hickman

Girls Basketball Goes For Repeat

Juuling: A Complete Overview

Snow Days Pile Up

The Death of the NCAA

Warning: AP Season Approaching!

Elza Wins Champions of Courage Contest

Is Peer Pressure Really a Thing?

Just Decide to be Happy