Comet Wins 2018 Young Woman of the Year Award

McLean devotes many hours to Night of Peace Family Shelter and The Children's Home

Eden Beyene, Staff

Senior Gabby McLean was chosen to be Baltimore County’s 2018 Young Woman of the Year. 

Every year, the Baltimore County Commission for Women, an organization that supports women through Baltimore County services, legislation, and programs, selects a “Young Woman of the Year.” This award honors a young Baltimore County woman who has made a difference in the community. McLean was nominated by assistant principal Ms. Michelle Landen and guidance counselor Ms. Kim Carrell, both of whom recognized her great citizenship. 

“It’s definitely an honor to be recognized,” McLean said. Her family has always been involved in the community and has transferred their values to her. 

McLean is involved in numerous services at institutions such as Night of Peace, a local homeless shelter for families, and the Children’s Home, a local foster home. 

She volunteers at Night of Peace once every other month. During this time, she brings dinner for residents and experiences great enjoyment from interacting with them. 

“I have been able to see families make incredible progress,” McLean explained. 

She has also volunteered at The Children’s Home. She sympathizes with the lives of the children, some of whom attend CHS, who live without the care of their parents.  

“It was just a great opportunity for me to give back [to my community],” explained McLean. 

Her service does not stop with these institutions; she indulges in other acts of kindness throughout the year. Most notably, her and her family have started “Love Flash Mobs;” these are gift bags for residents at Night of Peace, The Children’s Home, and other organizations. They are donated by members in the community who wish to help those in need and have left a big mark on the lives of many; in the past, as many as 300 bags have been donated for one event. This year’s Valentine’s Day marked the most recent Love Flash Mob.; inside of each bag was candy, a gift card, and a kind note. 

“It’s really simple acts of kindness [that make a life],” said McLean. She believes anyone can have an impact on the life of another. 

This philosophy is one that drives her good deeds. Not only does she want to make a difference people’s lives, she wants to raise awareness about homelessness. 

“Making others more aware of this issue is important,” explained McLean.  

She also wants to show others that it is easy to help those in need and to appreciate their blessings. She will surely keep setting this example and aspires to be an approachable figure to others who want to help their communities as well.  

“I hope that I’m able to continue this… wherever I go.” 

Eden Beyene, Staff Writer

Hi, I'm Eden! I am a 12th grader in CHS. I enjoy reading and writing which is why I joined journalism. In my free time, I enjoy reading and talking with...

• Comet Wins 2018 Young Woman of the Year Award