Girls’ Basketball Team Overcomes Deficit, One Win Away From Repeat

Adam Carroll and Ben Hall

The Lady Comets defeated Bethesda Chevy Chase, 63-51, on March 8 in the state semi-finals and punched their ticket into the State Final on March 10. 

Catonsville started the game off very slow and went down by a lot early in the game. In the first few possessions the Comets couldn’t get a ball to roll in. 

BCC, on the other hand was hot early. BCC made three transition layups early in the game to give them a 6-0 lead. At the end of the first quarter, the Comets were down 14-6.    

BCC had its largest lead of the game with 5 minutes left in the second quarter. It was 25-8 at that point of the game. Senior Jasmine Dickey only had 6 points in the first half. It was 27-13 by halftime. 

However, the third quarter was a much different story. The Comets went out on a 17-1 run and Dickey made a jump shot which gave the Comets the lead with just under 3 minutes to go in the quarter.  

BCC, however, would not go down without a fight. In the fourth quarter, the Comets only led by 2 points. Senior Jameila Barrett hit two free throws and Dickey went lights out, scoring 9 consecutive points. Dickey had another phenomenal game, with 30 points and 17 rebounds. Late free throws sealed the  victory. 

This comeback punched the Comets’ ticket for their second straight state final. 

Coach Mike Mohler credited the physical toughness of the team for being able to pull off the comeback. 

“We were better physically, and they showed it,” he said.  

The Comets will now go for the repeat. Tipoff will be at 3:00 PM on the aforementioned date. 

The only thing standing between them and the Championship is Eleanor Roosevelt High School. 

Adam Carroll, Staff

Hi, my name's Adam, and I'm currently a junior. This is my second year writing for the Comet and, in my spare time, I love keeping up with sports  and...

Ben Hall, Staff

Hi I am Ben Hall. I am in the class of 2019 at Catonsville High. This is my second year in on The Comet staff. My main interest to write about sports.