Spring Break…Tragedy or Blessing?

Don'ya Truesdale, Staff

Spring Break is the time of the school year that faculty and students use to take a break from all the books and relax so they can continue the rest of the school year strong. 

But last year Maryland Govenor Larry Hogan ordered public schools in the state to extend summer break until after Labor Day starting this school year. With little notice for schools, who often plan their calendars several years in advance, Hogan said delaying the start of the school year would be good for businesses, families, and the environment because schools would not need to use air-conditioning for as many days in August.  

Last year BCPS started the break on April 7 and finished the break almost two weeks later on April 18. This year, because of the extended summer, Spring Break will start on March 29and end only four days later on April 3. Basically, the extra summer days that students received this year were pulled from Spring Break.  

So, in this first year of later school start dates, the question is: Will this shortened break ruin the fun and relaxation that Spring Break has to offer? 

Most of the time, students and faculty will spend Spring Break with their families, hanging out with friends, or traveling a little.  

“I always spend the break with my family. One year we stayed home, but the best year was when we took a day trip to the West Coast: Oregon, ” principal Matt Ames explained.  

But most of the students feel that the fun will be affected if the break is shortened.  

“I definitely feel like there will be less opportunities to do the fun things that most of us students planned on doing, to prepare for the rest of the school year,” explained junior Camryn Genter.   

Knowing that their rejuvenation time would be cut short this year, students expressed how the break helped them and their teachers.  

“For the students: mental relaxation, a break from school, and preparation for the rest of the school year’s stress. For the teachers, a break from “responsibility”: planning, grading, and dealing with us,” laughed junior Caroline Bradey.  

Because the fun will fade, some of the students found a shortened Spring Break as a negative thing.  

“The shorter the break, the less the fun and more stress then wanted,” explained sophomore Parker Ritter.  

Same with the teachers, they feel that a shortened break takes away from the recovery of our hard-working brains for the rest of the year.  

“The extended summer is a perk of the shortened break, but Spring Break falls in a crucial time of the year where it’s very necessary. We’ve knocked out three quarters so far; the time where students start getting ready to get out of here. So, that break in between is a mental decompressor to finish the year strong,” explained English teacher Christina Ruzzi. 

But, yet some of the faculty seem to think the shortened break is a pretty good idea for the students’ sake.   

“When the break was longer, it was harder for the students to transition back into school mode. They were so relaxed that they couldn’t remember what they learned for they left, a shorter break will prevent that brain stump and lessen stress on teachers to reteach,” counselor Brittney Watkins.   

So, although there are some positives to this shorten Spring Break, the students are begging for the old break routine.  

“WE NEED A LONGER BREAK! We need a longer brain break, we’re under so much stress during the school year. Why take that away?” Genter exclaimed.  

• Spring Break…Tragedy or Blessing?

• Spring Break…Tragedy or Blessing?

• Spring Break…Tragedy or Blessing?

• Spring Break…Tragedy or Blessing?

• Spring Break…Tragedy or Blessing?

• Spring Break…Tragedy or Blessing?

• Spring Break…Tragedy or Blessing?

• Spring Break…Tragedy or Blessing?

• Spring Break…Tragedy or Blessing?

• Spring Break…Tragedy or Blessing?

Spring Break…Tragedy or Blessing?