Math Hosts SAT Lunch Bunches

Eden Beyene, Staff

At first glance, the words “SAT” and “lunch” don’t seem to mesh, but CHS is starting a program to bridge the two.

SAT Lunch Bunches are composed of sessions that run during B lunch in which students are tutored to score better on the SAT. The idea was born while CHS was brainstorming ways to improve students’ test scores.

“We were trying to figure out what other ways we could help students prepare and study for the SAT. We know not everybody is available first thing in the morning; we know not everybody is available… after school. So, we thought the best way to fit it into everybody’s schedule… was to make it more of a social opportunity as well as a learning opportunity and try and get groups together during lunch time,” explained math department chair Theresa Vaccaro, leader of the program.

Although all students welcome, some are specifically invited based on their PSAT scores; those who scored around 450 points in the math or reading category are asked to join. This jibes with the school’s goal of boosting all students’ SAT scores to 500 or more in each section. The program strives to raise each student’s SAT score by at least 100 points.

Before instruction begins, students’ PSAT scores are analyzed for deficit areas; these topics will be focused on throughout the sessions. Students couldn’t have asked for a better curriculum because, for many, PSAT scores are a driving factor for joining the lunch bunch.

“When I took the PSAT, my math score was kind of low… I want to definitely improve my test scores and learn good test strategies,” said participant and junior Joy Sang.

Personalized instruction will allow Sang to target her math section. By PSAT score analysis and Khan Academy and College Board accounts, Ms. Vaccaro aims to make practice individualized so students can reap the maximum benefits.

“If they have their College Board and their Khan Academy [accounts] linked, then they will get specific skill sets that they individually need to work on… so then we might be able to partner up, pair up and form groups according to what skills or reviews we need to work on,” said Ms. Vaccaro.

Since it is their first year participating, students aren’t sure what to expect. Some have hopes for how the program will go.

“I hope it’s an interaction between… the teacher and [the student]… You can ask questions, and they can answer them for you,” said junior McKenzie Andrews.

Others want more specific qualities from their teachers.

“I’m hoping that it’s gonna be kind of chill… Hopefully there’s gonna be a math teacher there to really guide us through the questions and how to really determine the answers,” said Sang.

Teachers also have some anticipated concerns.

“We don’t expect a super high attendance, because it is lunch time”, explained SAT Prep teacher Rebecca Mello. “It’s also hard to focus… because, especially with B lunch, you’re going to be in the middle of another class… The time limit is another challenge.”

Overall, however, teachers believe the program will do fine as long as everyone involved is committed.

“I think it’ll go pretty well. As long as the students that are coming want to be there, they’ll study and we’ll be ok,” said Ms. Mello.

Eden Beyene, Staff Writer

Hi, I'm Eden! I am a 12th grader in CHS. I enjoy reading and writing which is why I joined journalism. In my free time, I enjoy reading and talking with...

• Math Hosts SAT Lunch Bunches

• Math Hosts SAT Lunch Bunches

• Math Hosts SAT Lunch Bunches

• Math Hosts SAT Lunch Bunches

• Math Hosts SAT Lunch Bunches

• Math Hosts SAT Lunch Bunches

• Math Hosts SAT Lunch Bunches

• Math Hosts SAT Lunch Bunches

• Math Hosts SAT Lunch Bunches

• Math Hosts SAT Lunch Bunches

Getting to the Bottom of Crowded Hallways

Math Hosts SAT Lunch Bunches