New Gender Sexuality Alliance at CHS

New Gender Sexuality Alliance at CHS

Katrina Bucher, Staff

CHS has always had pride in being a safe and accepting school for its students. Recently, the Gay Straight Alliance led by Spanish teacher Will Grome, who left to teach at Hereford High, has been gone. In light of this, two juniors Robbie Gorey and Aidan Lang created the Gender Sexuality Alliance with advisor Rebecca Hope.  

Lang had the idea and started working out the nuts and bolts. Resources like the GSA Network online helped him with the fundamentals, and then he focused on getting the club a sponsor and approved by assistant principal Eric Eiswert. 

When it came to the sponsor, Lang already had an idea in mind. 

“I immediately thought of my Spanish 4 teacher Mrs. Hope; she’s always been someone I can talk to,” explained Lang. 

Ms. Hope accepted the responsibility and is dedicated to helping students who need it. 

“I personally have a gay brother, and I am very involved in the LGBTQ community, so when Aidan asked, I was more than happy to help. The club really focuses on educating, advocating, and being a safe space for confused or questioning students,” she stated. 

Once the mechanics were taken care of, Lang drew from his experiences as a member of Feminist Club and the resources that the GSA Network provided online in order to carry out his vision for the club. 

“I liked how Feminist club has a lot of lecture-based and discussion meetings, and that led me to format the first meeting of GSA that way,” stated Lang. 

Of course, creating a club is no easy task, and Lang realized this from the beginning. 

“I knew I couldn’t do this alone, so I asked my friend Robbie Gorey to be my co- president,” explained Lang. 

As co- presidents, Lang and Gorey have created a club where all kinds of people can get together for a fun, safe, and enjoyable time.  

Junior Nicole Gunderson really enjoyed the first meeting, and is looking forward to future discussions. 

“In the first meeting, Robbie and Aidan created a PowerPoint and went over some ground- respect rules. Then we started to discuss our own experiences, and it was really relaxing. I’m excited to see what we talk about next time,” commented Gunderson. 

Gorey explains the goals of the club, and what the future holds for them. 

“We really want to spread awareness about certain topics to the school, educate youth, and assist anyone who might be facing obstacles concerning their sexuality,” stated Gorey. 

Katrina Bucher, Writer

Hi, I'm Katrina Bucher, a senior here at CHS. I love to play softball, golf, and hang out with my friends. I'm really happy to be writing for the school...

• New Gender Sexuality Alliance at CHS

• New Gender Sexuality Alliance at CHS

• New Gender Sexuality Alliance at CHS

• New Gender Sexuality Alliance at CHS

• New Gender Sexuality Alliance at CHS

• New Gender Sexuality Alliance at CHS

• New Gender Sexuality Alliance at CHS

• New Gender Sexuality Alliance at CHS

• New Gender Sexuality Alliance at CHS

• New Gender Sexuality Alliance at CHS

New Gender Sexuality Alliance at CHS