The Hardest Year of High School

Eden Beyene, Staff Writer

It’s hard to believe that class registration for the 2018-19 school year has already begun. Although freshmen through junior classes partake in registering, sophomores may feel the most pressure since colleges look at junior year more than any other year.

“[I’m] trying to find classes that [colleges will] think are good that I’m taking but, at the same time, trying to take classes I’ll enjoy,” said sophomore Gracelyn O’Malley, who explains she feels some pressure.

O’Malley outlines the struggle of sophomore registration. They debate choosing the upper-level and rigorous courses that colleges want them to take, and try to balance these with easier or more enjoyable classes. But how much weight do students give to colleges? What ultimately determines juniors’ schedules?

For many, interests are a huge factor. Sophomore Abby Digiondomenico loves to sing. She has been taking chorus classes since middle school, and is planning on taking one in junior year, too. Sophomore Claire Doll loves music and has registered for her third year of band.

Although it doesn’t seem so, your interests and colleges’ interests can go hand in hand. Sophomore Jalissa Caceres isn’t too worried about getting into colleges by taking the right classes. She believes colleges will be impressed if she stays true to herself and takes what she is interested in.

So, colleges influence the classes students take on varying levels, but how much influence do they have on the level of classes students take?

“I think that taking like a lot of AP classes is going to draw attention [from] colleges, and they’ll know that I can take the challenge,” said Doll.

Doll is deciding between taking AB or BC Calculus next year. The driving factor to take the harder course, BC, is, of course, colleges.

“I would take all standards if I wasn’t going to college,” sophomore Max McKenna agreed.

McKenna, who is taking multiple APs, is feeling stressed to take them in order to stand out to colleges. He is not alone; as a result of their challenging schedules, numerous sophomores believe junior year will be a stressful year.

“It’s just a lot of academic classes and not that [many]… electives,” said Doll, who has signed up for many APs. She believes this will be her hardest year.

Rising juniors have a big year coming. With diligence and responsibility, they seem ready to tackle what may be their hardest year.

• The Hardest Year of High School

• The Hardest Year of High School

• The Hardest Year of High School

• The Hardest Year of High School

• The Hardest Year of High School

We R Generation Z

• The Hardest Year of High School

Avengers ‘Infinity War’: Is It Really That Good?

• The Hardest Year of High School

How to Slam those AP Exams!

• The Hardest Year of High School

A Student’s Guide to Water Bottles

• The Hardest Year of High School

• The Hardest Year of High School

The Hardest Year of High School