Political Divisions Impact Students

Cameron McHugh, Staff

This past election, at least to high schoolers, seemed to be the most divisive election in recent history. And, as only makes sense, when parents teach their kids their beliefs, they take those opinions to school and express them to their peers. These beliefs can cause people to judge each other before they hear what another person has to say. 

According to www.gallup.com, 52.8% of Marylanders classify as Democratic, while the other two parties are in the minority. Maryland is a strongly Democratic state, and sometimes the other minority sides of the argument can be silenced. These groups can feel that they have been unfairly criticized, and this is how larger divisions are started. 

School provides students many chances to express their views, but students aren’t always able to tell their side of the story before they are judged. Teens also sometimes lack the maturity to understand the different facets of a topic.  

“When I get into arguments I get really angry,” said freshman Matthew Lauer. “It gets me really frustrated and I say things that shouldn’t be said.” 

Due to a lack of maturity, teens can make poorly-thought-out decisions, and larger problems could occur. These arguments can last longer and go beyond CHS.  

“I have had many personal arguments with people that have extended outside of school,” freshman Christopher Atkinson said. “I get really agitated when people don’t care about what I have to say.” 

In a poll from Pew Research, liberals and conservatives prefer to live and associate with each other. They would also be upset if their child was married to someone with an opposite political view. When children are told this, it could impact who they decide to become friends with, and talk to. 

“I get into arguments very often, and sometimes they are fun.” freshman Devin Hughes explained. “I go over the top in a lot of my arguments, and sometimes they get out of hand. I get into arguments with my friends from time to time, but, other than that, some people just make me angry.” 

If the citizens of America cannot come together and find a way to fix the divide, the future of American politics will be even more divisive and argumentative than before. Today’s children are the future of America and, if they don’t find a way to cooperate, there is a possibility that nothing could get done. 

• Political Divisions Impact Students

Tgiving Dinner: Home vs. Going Out

• Political Divisions Impact Students

Spirit Week 2017 Recap

• Political Divisions Impact Students

Comets Fall to Kenwood in Homecoming Match-Up

• Political Divisions Impact Students

Mixed Farmhouse Greens Review

• Political Divisions Impact Students

Top 10 Costume Ideas for Hijabis

• Political Divisions Impact Students

Spirit Week Traditions, Rules an Annual Concern

• Political Divisions Impact Students

High Schoolers and Their Lack of Sleep

• Political Divisions Impact Students

New CHS Fall Play: ‘The Diary of Anne Frank’

• Political Divisions Impact Students

Go Home Freshmen: Tradition or Torment?

• Political Divisions Impact Students

Top Ten Halloween Costumes for 2017

Political Divisions Impact Students