Fidget Spinners, the New Fad

picture credit to Joel Best, CNN http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/17/health/fidget-spinner-fad-partner/index.html

Maddie Clarke, Staff

Throughout CHS, there’s not one person who doesn’t know about the new hot toy “fidget spinners.” They’ve become very popular in the last few months, and children from elementary to high school can be seen with this spinning gadget.

There are many claims that fidget spinners help kids with ADHD, autism, anxiety, and stress. It supposedly helps you focus while twirling the spinners between your fingers.

“The momentum of the toy provides a pleasing sensory experience, according to user reviews, while the challenge of tossing, transferring and twirling the spinners has spawned an entire universe of instructional YouTube videos,” according to Stephanie Pappas, a Live Science Contributor.

The toy originally became popular in Australia, when a woman named Catherine Hettinger brought it to Hasbro’s attention, a worldwide toy company. Now, fidget spinners come in all shapes, colors, and sizes. Fidget spinners have become very costly, some lighting up when you spin them, some being made with different metals like titanium, steel, copper, iron, and zinc.

“We can imagine slightly younger kids comparing fidget spinners — yours is an interesting color or really sparkles when it spins, while mine spins for a really long time,” said Joel Best, an author for The Conversation.

Many teachers and students find the toys distracting in classrooms, and in some schools fidget spinners are banned. Although it helps children focus, those who do not use the fidget spinners have a hard time paying attention to their work.

“I think that the spinners should have a policy like the cellphones, away in the classroom unless you have and actual reason to use it or teachers permission,” explained biology teacher Sara Grogan.

These toys may prove beneficial to many, but some students just enjoy the toy as a toy, not as a tool for helping them focus during class.

“It’s used as a toy instead of an outlet to help you focus,” sophomore Kayla Adams said.

Because of the school-wide knowledge of the toys, it will be hard to put the use of those who don’t need it to an end. Opinions of the toys vary throughout the school and while some teachers and students mind them, others don’t.

“It shouldn’t only be given to children with autism and ADHD. It turned into something huge, so why limit it to only certain people,” sophomore Nick Norton said.

• Fidget Spinners, the New Fad

How to Keep Your New Year’s Resolutions

• Fidget Spinners, the New Fad

Ugly Sweaters of 2017

• Fidget Spinners, the New Fad

Expectations for the Last Jedi

• Fidget Spinners, the New Fad

Crazy Candy Cane Flavors Take Over Christmas

• Fidget Spinners, the New Fad

Preview & Predictions for Star Wars Episode 8: The Last Jedi

• Fidget Spinners, the New Fad

Alum Visit for 3rd Annual Career Day

• Fidget Spinners, the New Fad

The Journey with Braces

• Fidget Spinners, the New Fad

Best Places to Eat on Frederick Road

• Fidget Spinners, the New Fad

How to Do Tgiving Vegan-Style

• Fidget Spinners, the New Fad

Spirit Week 2017 Recap

Fidget Spinners, the New Fad