Wish List for the New Superintendent

After Spring Break 2017, BCPS superintendent Dr. Dallas Dance announced that he would resign his position on June 30. Dr. Dance made a big impact during his five-year term, with several key changes to grading policies, technology for students, and  Spanish classes in elementary schools. There were those who liked him, and those who did not, so his resignation resulted in mixed-bag of reactions.

On May 23, BCPS announced its interim superintendent to be Verletta White. She will serve a one-year term during the search for a long-term leader. Throughout her time in BCPS, White has been a teacher, principal, and system administrator. She is also going to apply to be the permanent superintendent.

Students and teachers alike are already thinking about what they want from White. There are many issues at CHS and other Baltimore County schools that need to be addressed, and people want her to hear what they have to say.

“The only thing I’m really looking for is someone who listens to teachers,” English teacher Rachel Wilkinson said. “The biggest issue BCPS is facing right now is an overreliance on technology. The new superintendent should also have a fair approach to the grading policy.”

One of the most controversial topics is the latest grading policy.

“I want us to head in a more stable direction,” social studies teacher Robin Cremen stated. “The new grading policy has caused many issues for students. There should be more clarity. We also need a better grasp on discipline because students can’t be held accountable for that. Furthermore, the attendance policy shouldn’t drastically harm grades.”

There are also thoughts about allowing teachers to have their own teaching methods.

“I think we should reform the grading policy,” social studies teacher George Vargo claimed. “Not necessarily change it completely but definitely alter it. Teachers should also be allowed to focus on different styles of teaching.”

Some students have been positively impacted by Dr. Dance’s policies and would prefer they remain the same.

“I would like them to reinstitute the policy of not grading homework,” freshman Aidan Anderson said. Anderson would also like the grading policy to remain the same with some minor tweaks such as “allowing re-dos to continue till the very end of the quarter with no more two-week cut-off.”

Others disliked Dr. Dance’s policies and want them done away with.

“I want the new superintendent to change the grading policy,” sophomore Miguel stated. He wants the superintendent to do a better job and redo it altogether. “I say change it completely for my reason is that maybe they can do a better job for us.”

A big issue to many students is the lack of control over harassment and bullying.

“I want someone who will be able to handle the pressure of constant scrutiny and critism,” sophomore James Barefoot claimed. Barefoot wants to go back to the old grading policy because it wasn’t as confusing. Barefoot is also hopeful that the new superintendent will learn from the mistakes Dr. Dance and others have made.

There are also certain policies that people try to perfect and end up being ruined.

“I want them to be consistent with the grading system and not change it all the time,” sophomore David Dzingeleski said. Dzingeleski says that we don’t need one person deciding the budget.

Everyone is crossing their fingers that Verletta White will improve on what was left behind. There’s no telling exactly how problems can be fixed, or how long it’ll take to do so.

• Wish List for the New Superintendent

How to Keep Your New Year’s Resolutions

• Wish List for the New Superintendent

Ugly Sweaters of 2017

• Wish List for the New Superintendent

Expectations for the Last Jedi

• Wish List for the New Superintendent

Crazy Candy Cane Flavors Take Over Christmas

• Wish List for the New Superintendent

Preview & Predictions for Star Wars Episode 8: The Last Jedi

• Wish List for the New Superintendent

Alum Visit for 3rd Annual Career Day

• Wish List for the New Superintendent

The Journey with Braces

• Wish List for the New Superintendent

Best Places to Eat on Frederick Road

• Wish List for the New Superintendent

How to Do Tgiving Vegan-Style

• Wish List for the New Superintendent

Spirit Week 2017 Recap

Wish List for the New Superintendent