One Acts Show Student Skills

Nicole Gunderson, Staff

Every year the drama department at CHS puts on two shows; the fall play and the spring musical, right? No, there are actually three shows (technically there are around six or seven shows) this year. For the past three years, the third (and fourth and fifth and so on) have been put on hold. This is the first year that these shows called “One Acts” are back at CHS.

These one acts are completely student-run shows from cast to crew with drama teacher Lauren Gill’s supervision and approval. Some of the shows are even written by students; they are usually 15-30 minutes in length.

There are five student directors, and four one acts. Each one is different from the others, and each has casts from three to ten students. The plays can be about anything (within reason) and can have music, sound effects, and props all according to the specific show. They are performed back to back with transitions run by the all-student crew.

“I think it’s a good opportunity for students to show independence,” sophomore student director and actor Meghan Mosher said.

“It’s important for there to be these student-directed shows because, especially in high school, students don’t really get a chance to be in charge as much as they’d like to be,” sophomore actress Hannah Sikes said.

Not many people know about these small shows, so there is a worry about the size of the audience. “I feel like family will come!” freshman actor Sydney Hogarth said.

Everyone who was asked if people will come to see the show took a deep breath and a long pause before simply saying “No, not really” or “My parents are coming…”

Mosher said “my parents and friends have all been invited, and there are flyers around the school so… no.”

Hopefully, the turnout is larger than expected, and they can continue performing these one acts in future years. Most students participating in this year’s shows do want to be involved again next year.

“I think I want to try directing next year!” Hogarth said. Many students decide that they want to direct one after acting in the shows, or want to be involved after they go to see the one acts.

The common problem that directors and actors have is how late preparation started this year. “We really do need to start the audition process much sooner in the year, we just didn’t have enough time to get our shows together as much as we wanted,” said Mosher.

Everyone is eager for next year’s theater program to begin, especially the one acts. “I’ll definitely audition for the one acts again next year!” Sikes said.

Overall the One Acts were a success, all the students can’t wait to try it again with even more participants and audience members.

• One Acts Show Student Skills

• One Acts Show Student Skills

• One Acts Show Student Skills

• One Acts Show Student Skills

• One Acts Show Student Skills

• One Acts Show Student Skills

• One Acts Show Student Skills

• One Acts Show Student Skills

• One Acts Show Student Skills

• One Acts Show Student Skills

One Acts Show Student Skills